New truck. Synthetic or Conventional Oil??

Ok guys. I got a new 03 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton truck with the 5.3L V8. It came with Valvoline conventional motor oil in it. I'm gonna be driving this thing for a long, long time, and want to take the best care of it I possibly can. I'm trying to decide if synthetic oil is a good idea. I do read it has better properties than the dino juice, but if I change my oil every 3K or so, am I really better off with the synthetic?

Whats the net wisdom on this? What would you do if this was your vehicle?

I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks! Russ Crisp Cullowhee, NC

Reply to
russ crisp

Russ, I broke my new motor in with 5K of dino oil (a change at 100 miles on the oil, then a change at 1500miles, then the switch to synth at 5K). Worked fine for me. Corvette's, BMW's etc. are shipping from factory with syth in them.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

Syns are better why else would the ship the viper or vette with that if it was inferior better car better oil you should drain it right away and put in syn.

Reply to
Jeff

Hi Russ, I've owned a number of new vehicles through the years & I've always used synthetic. The procedure I follow is to do the 1st oil change at 3000 km with conventional oil, 2nd oil change at 6000 km w/conventional oil, 3rd oil change at 10,000 km w/synthetic (Mobil 1 or Castrol), & then every 5000 km (3000 Mi.) thereafter. I feel, using conventional oil for the 1st 10,000 km helps with engine break-in because it seems synthetic reduces internal friction as I notice as soon as I switch over, the engine seems to idle a little quieter & mileage improves slightly.If you intend to own this vehicle for a long long time, this is cheap insurance. BTW, don't forget to use a quality oil filter - not FRAM - See

I useWix on my 02 Chevy 1/2 T silverado 4.8l Hope this helps Jim

Reply to
Vanman

Because the manufacture gives GM sells the oil to the manufacture of the vehile for much less then dino oil on these cars as the PR is worth the reduction in profit. Truth is, there is no documentation that an engine using synthetic oil outlasts or runs better then one using dino oil.

(I've used syn oil my last 3 oil changes and will continue to use it)

Reply to
Todd Copeland

Russ

I do not have any information on my web site about this yet but take a look at installing an AMSOIL By-Pass filter. By-Pass filters are ideal for large and future high milage trucks.

email or call me if you have any questions

Bruce Wappman

Bruce Wappman