Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synthetic

I just bought a 1995 Ford Mustang GT with a 5.0L engine at 109,000 miles. The recommended oil weight to use is 10w30. Is Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synthetic the best?

Thanks, BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

at 07 Apr 2004, Buford T. Justice [???@msn.com] wrote in news:c527r5 $2l59lg$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-208839.news.uni-berlin.de:

I know Mobil 1 uses synthetic Base 3 or 4 stock. Castrol Syntec and the Amsoil 7500 series uses dino base 2 stock. I don't know off hand what stock Valvoline uses, I checked their website but it is not mentioned. You may wish to call them at 1-800-TEAM-VAL and ask them what group base stock they use for Valvoline Synthetic. if it's not group 3 or 4, my choice would be to go with Mobil 1. If it is group 3 or 4, pick whichever you feel more comfortable with.

I personally use Mobil 1 in our 3 vehicles. Never heard anything bad about it and I've not had any trouble with it. Also, it's nicely priced at WallyWorld at about $20 for a 5at jug.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Paul

Yeah they were out of the jugs tonight so I asked if they would price match 5 qts. which they did. Synthetic is obviously better than conventional. For me, it's just a question of whether to use Mobil 1 or Valvoline.

Thanks, BTJustice

----- Original Message ----- From: Paul Sent: 4/7/2004 8:49 PM

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

Amsoil Synthetic uses less polymers than most multi weights and is considered the best by many. That being said from the testing I've seen , Mobil 1 would probably be better than Valvoline, but in practical use ??? I buy whatever synthetic is the cheapest that day at Walmart - LOL.

Heres a link:

Buc4evr

That Pour Point test cracks me up. Amsoil will pour 3 degrees colder than Mobil 1. At - 51 C, it would kill you to go outside and change the oil.

The rest was an interesting read. Thanks for the link.

BTJustice

----- Original Message ----- From: Buc4evr Sent: 4/7/2004 9:12 PM

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

Also according to Amsoil literature, the Valvoline synthetic and Castrol "Hard Driver non synthetic are better than the Mobil 1

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Is that on their website? Might you have an address?

Thanks, BTJustice

----- Original Message ----- From: WindsorFox[SS] Sent: 4/7/2004 11:24 PM

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

Except for a brief flirtation with synthetic motor oil, I've used dino oil for near 40 years with not one oil related failure. If you are subject to extreme high or extreme low temperatures, it is hard to justify the extra cost of the synthetics. Most definitely, synthetics is transmissions and third members, but for motors, regular maintenance arfe irreplaceable. Some synthetics promise extended oil changes..... while many are lucky, I refuse to do this to ME.... and I can fix my motor for a lot cheaper and much quicker than most on this list.....

"Buford T. Justice"

Reply to
Jim Warman

----- Original Message ----- From: Buford T. Justice Sent: 4/7/2004 11:59 PM

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

"Buford T. Justice"

Reply to
LoTekGuru

With what it cost me to build my 331, the little extra for Mobil 1 is completely insignificant. Mobil 1 performs much better than dino oils in high performance engines that are under high loads. Worth it IMO.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:53:48 -0500, "Buford T. Justice"

Reply to
Tungsten

I just got off the phone with Valvoline (1-800-TEAM-VAL). Valvoline Synthetic is PAO based and Group III & IV. I guess I will use Valvoline since I have always used their products and all can be found at both Wal-Mart & AutoZone.

BTJustice

----- Original Message ----- From: Buford T. Justice Sent: 4/7/2004 7:53 PM

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

They also say it is good for 7500 miles, but I will change mine every

5000 miles.

BTJustice

----- Original Message ----- From: Buford T. Justice Sent: 4/8/2004 10:14 AM

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

|On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:53:48 -0500, "Buford T. Justice"

Reply to
John Smith

----- Original Message ----- From: Paul Sent: 4/7/2004 8:49 PM

I called both Mobil & Valvoline today. Mobil 1 uses Base IV & V. Valvoline uses Base III & IV.

The tech I talked to at Valvoline said that they were releasing Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic for higher miled cars that is identical to SynPower except that it has extra seal conditioner additives.

I just finished flushing out my engine and used Mobil 1 10w30. If I can find this new MaxLife Synthetic, I will use it instead since I am currently at 110,000 and my car has always used conventional oil.

I think both Valvoline & Mobil 1 are the best. It really just boils down to choice. I have always used Valvoline products and have never had any problems with them.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

at 08 Apr 2004, Tungsten [ snipped-for-privacy@nospamramfm.org] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ok Tunsgten, I'm confused. You stated that the engine using Mobil 1 was clean as a whistle, yet the one using castrol was dirty. So you switch to castrol. From castrol? Error! Does not compute! :-)

Reply to
Paul

at 08 Apr 2004, Buford T. Justice [???@msn.com] wrote in news:c542ph$2lej6u$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-208839.news.uni-berlin.de:

Now that is interesting. My Mustang is at 105K (car)/50K (engine) but my wife's Geo is at about 70K. So it would qualify for Maxlife synth. I'd have to see when it comes out. Thanks for calling them and giving us the scoop on what they use for a bas. Guess now I have a choice between Mobil 1 and Valvoline Synth if need be...

Reply to
Paul

I went to Advance Auto Parts today. The salesman said he hadn't heard of it. I used the bathroom. After I was done, he said, "HEY MAN!" I walked over to their receiving area and there it was. It wasn't even priced in their computer yet. A 6 pack case cost under $30. I imagine this price will come down. I can see Valvoline having 5 qt. jugs of it around $20.

BTJustice

----- Original Message ----- From: Paul Sent: 4/8/2004 3:45 PM

Reply to
Buford T. Justice