Rust on 2004 Silverado 2500HD

Anyone out there seen this happen? 1 round rust spot (about 1" wide), flaky brown, peeling by the third bake light?? I bought the truck used, didn't notice the spot then. It has 49K on it, warranty book says rust warranty 6yr/100,000 but dealer says they can't do any thing!!?? This is crazy, how can a less than 3 yr old truck have rust on the roof!! (in Florida, no salt on the roads, some in the air, but I never seen a car in do this before it hits about 10 years)

Reply to
Bryon

never seen it so soon either. But, salt air sure won't help. Why won't the rust warranty cover it? Ive seen chevys do that on the top of the rear window seal. Probably from water collecting in there and not drying out. It will be more prevalent near the beach for sure.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Japanese cars have been rusting on the roof for years. NOW we have a EGAD!

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

I've got a rust spot just like yours,only it's 2" around. My truck was built in 1969 though. Guess they don't make 'em like they used to.

Reply to
brianorion

Reply to
Bryon

@@@@@So, did they warranty it? If not, why?

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

IIRC, the "rust through" warranty is just that, it must rust all the way through the metal to be covered. YMMV

DJ

Reply to
IdaSpode

omg your kidding right? So that way it will be out of warranty?

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

It looks like it may be up for interpretation as to "cosmetic" and "defects".

"NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY GM vehicles registered in the U.S.A. are covered for 3 years/36,000 miles (whichever comes first). The complete vehicle is covered, including tires, towing to your nearest Chevrolet dealership, and cosmetic corrosion resulting from defects. "

"CORROSION PROTECTION Chevrolet vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for 6 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first). Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your Chevrolet dealer for terms of this limited warranty."

Further, from a specification listing for 2006 GMC Sierra:

Rust-Through Warranty covers body sheet metal rust-through (an actual hole in sheet metal). Corrosion Warranty covers body sheet metal panels against rust for 36 months/36,000 miles. Cosmetic or surface corrosion (resulting from situations such as stone chips or scratches in paint) is not covered.

Rust Miles100,000 Rust Months72

PaintCovers damage (in the form of blotchy, ringlet shaped discolorations or small irregular dark spots etched into paint surfaces) caused by airborne pollutants.

Paint Miles12,000

DJ

Reply to
IdaSpode

good news...so far it looks like it will be covered...since it has gone almost through (brown and flaky rust) and they said it's in an area that is obviously not caused by a dent or previous damage...I've got an appointment to take to the local Chevy dealer Body Shop in 2 weeks.

IdaSpode wrote:

Bryon