S10 truck not starting - dealer can't diagnose

My sister has a 1995 S10. 2.2 fuel injected 4 cyl.

New fuel pump, new spark plug wires, has spark, appears to have fuel.

Sometimes it tries to start, then just turns. The next day just turns over.

When it started doing this, she took it back to the place that replaced the fuel pump. They could not diagnose the problem and recommended that she take it to the dealer. She did that, and the dealer says they need to replace the fuel pump and then they can figure out the problem. It seems unlikely that the fuel pump would be defective. She was having similar problems before it was replaced, and the problem seemed to be fixed.

Sometimes it starts (but runs poorly), and sometimes it won't start at all.

Any ideas of what it might be?

Reply to
friesian

Start the process of elimination. Fuel - spark - air. If you've got plenty of all three, the problem originates elsewhere. I'm not familiar with the vehicle, so I don't know if it has a coil for each cylinder. If it's a conventional distributor set-up, are you certain that the plug wires are not crossed? If that's not the culprit, what about the timing chain/belt?

Reply to
klutz

anything man can manufacuter is subject to failure as soon as he takes his hands off of it. Left out is what brand of fuel pump was installed, and how long ago it was installed. I would expect the dealer to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and check both pressure key on, and then with the key off, bleed down, ie how long does it hold pressure. Also left out of this equation, there is no mention the fuel filter has been replaced. a brand new pump cant force fuel through a clogged filter. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I will have to check on some of this. I know the fuel pump was changed about 5 weeks ago, 2 weeks before it mostly died. She took it back to that shop hoping it was something to do with that since it woudl be covered under the warranty. That place said that it had pressure the whole time, and they couldn't find anything wrong. The dealer insisted they couldn't get any pressure.

At this point, it seems like the first shop doesn't want to honor the warranty or the dealer is trying to make extra money replacing parts that weer just replaced. The first place only charged $40 for their diagnostic work and recommended going to the dealer. The dealer charged $200 and insisted they had to change the fuel pump before doing further testing. So, the dealer seemed more biased toward an expensive bill. Not really sure who to believe.

I will pass along the post and see if I can get answers for the rest of it.

Reply to
friesian

Reply to
curmudgeon

It very well could be(actually you said it is) intermittant. The dealer might have happened to catch it when it screwed up and it had little or no fuel pressure. The other guy could have been checking it when it was running fine..........

If that was the case it needs to be checked by the guy that put the pump in WHEN IT IS HAVING THE PROBLEM.......see? At least that way if it is the pump it will be free. It is of coarse possible that you are about to be screwed but...... you can't fix what aint broke (at that moment) :)

And if there is a problem with the fuel pressure and the pump is replaced ---that does not garantee it will run like a top when its done.....But it is a damn good starting point :)and most likely will fix it completely.

Reply to
ScottM

It is at a 3rd place new. It looks like something is burning out the fuel pumps. It probably caused the first one to go bad, and then the second one after only a couple weeks. The first place (that replaced the pump) and the 3rd place are working together. Not sure how, but it sounds like the first placeis going to replace the fuel pump for free after the 3rd place fixes whatever is causing them to burn out.

Reply to
friesian

Have them check the connectors at the pump. I had that problem on my 94 Sonoma. The female conectors on the wires that plug into the pump were loose inside causing the male part to not contact at times. I finally figured it out on the second pump.The truck would die and not restart at times. It seemed to do it more when hot. I don't remember how I fixed it but I probably soldered the wires on to the pump. You could probably just squeeze the female connector with plyers to tighten it up. I remember the conectors were a little melted because of the bad connection.

Reply to
ScottM

It is home and hopefully fixed this time. Last time, it lasted about 2 weeks, so we are hopeful that they found the complete problem this time.

Reply to
friesian