Slip yoke replacement

I have an 02 ext. cab 2wd 2500HD (two piece drive shaft) that has a slight jerk just after lightly pushing the pedal down from a stop, like something is slipping and then catching. It is not very bad and is hardly noticable. I have read a few posts here and there about a slip yoke replacement bulletin or something similar with nickle plating or special lube that is supposed to eliminate this. Anyone have any info? TIA, MR

Reply to
MR

I had that problem with my 93 k1500.

I was told to pull the drive shaft out and use a high moly content/waterproof grease. You can also purchase a nickel plated yoke, but they are pricey.

It worked for me

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

"MR" wrote

The nickel plated slip yoke replacement is only for

4X4 trucks with a one piece driveshaft.

There does happen to be a bulletin about "launch shudder".....but it applies only to 1500 series vehicles.

If you have a two piece driveshaft, there may be a grease nipple on your slip yoke. Take a look, and if so, grease the slip yoke. The 4X4 slip yokes have no grease nipple as they slide right inside the t/case. If there is no grease nipple on your rear shaft, you may want to remove it and grease the splines. I'm pretty sure that two piece driveshafts have a grease nipple for the rear shaft slip yoke.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks. I'll climb under there and check it out. MR

Reply to
MR

On my '88 K2500, I've got a one piece drive shaft and a NP241 xfer case, I don't have the slip stick problem, but I was wondering this.... when I pull out my driveshaft I get an ATF waterfall (with the front end jacked up) which I had always assumed was normal. wouldn't the ATF lubricate the splines or is my leaking in a really bad way internally?

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I've always looked at it this way: grease has a much higher viscosity rating than ATF, the ATF just isn't thick enough to do much good. As for the waterfall, I've never had that problem on trucks I've worked on; most just drip a few drops and then they're done. Dunno if TC's have the same internal seal/foil thingie (for lack of the correct term) that RWD AT's do.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I get a good amount of fluid from this same problem two. My two thoughts were it was meant to:

A: lube to assist in sliding B: prevent rust

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

"Bret Chase" wrote

It's normal for some ATF to leak out when you pull the driveshaft out of the transfer case. Obviously, the level of the fluid in the transfer case isn't as high as the position of the driveshaft, but ATF still gets up into the rear output shaft area in order to lubricate parts. All you are seeing is whatever happened to be pooled up in that area.

Apparently, the ATF just doesn't do a good enough job of lubricating the splines.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

ahhh... gotcha.