Suburban Parking Brake

Our 2003 Suburban continues to suffer from parking brakes which don't release properly. While this problem surfaced during colder months, it is now happening in 70-80 degree weather too.

We are considering the Ohio Lemon Law, in that, the problem surfaced in the first 12mo/18k miles; the dealership has tried 5 times to fix the problem, yet it continues.

While most have assumed the problem is attributed to water in the cable lines, my system is proving that there are other issues.

As I know someone who actually develops brake systems for aircraft and cars, we both are starting to believe this is a heat/bonding issue. The parking brake is actually drum brakes inside rotor. They ofter refer to the design as a hat. If the hat is too hot, applying the parking brake results in a bonding between the drum pads and the hat. This would also explain why the pedal and cable release, but the brakes are still locked to the hat. Likewise, it would explain why they eventually 'release' as we begin driving down the road.

I'm posting this info to find out who else might be suffering from this condition and what solutions have been recommended.

Reply to
cbendel

One would think that if you are getting the rotors that hot you would be suffering from some wicked pulsation from warped rotors. Even if you were getting some 'heat" bonding, since the shoes can't rotate, as soon as the truck moved an inch they would have to bust free from the drum surface. Have the cables been replaced? Is it possible that there is some fraying of the nylon coating the cable snagging on the inside of the armored cable housing? some of these set ups have an adjusting screw for the shoes as well as a cable adjustment, if this is the case could the 'screw" adjuster i.e. star wheel be too tight?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning