Suburban wiper troubleshoot

I have a '88 Suburban . Intermittent wiper settings don't work, and wipers will not shut off or park properly unless I play around with the switch control and use the "mist" setting on the control lever. Here's what I've done... First changed the multifuntion turn signal lever. this fixed the cruise control, as there was a broken wire in the old assembly...but wipers still work the same. Next, I replaced the wiper pulse relay module located behind the dash panel on the bottom of the steering column. I though for sure that would do it....but wipers still work the same. they work fine on continuous high and low speeds and control the washer pump fine...but will still not work on intermittent settings, or shut off or park properly. The motor seems fine, but I am told the park switch assembly on the motor may be bad. Is it possible to change this without changing out the whole motor? I know GM uses the negative ground through the switches, and takes the 12V+ direct to the wiper motor, making it a pain to troubleshoot. Any troubleshooting suggestions or parts advice would be surely appreciated !

Bill

Reply to
William Ruscher

Did the same yesterday, and wasn't that fun. If you bought your Sub used, you'll hate me: I installed a lever intended (and thus marked) for vehicles with intermittant wipers, but my 86 G20 is not equipped with these. (It was either buy the one in stock for $40, or order the correct one for $60.) Everything works as intended, except the markings are off. Not a problem, they'll wear off soon enough ;) Maybe the previous owner of your truck did the same when /his/ lever fell apart?

Reply to
René

Yes, that's a good point. My Suburban was bought used. I was lucky enough to have the previous owner (my boss) get the original laminated window listing for the vehicle, from the original owner. It listed intermediate wipers, cruise control ect. in the package, so I know I installed the correct turn signal multifuntion lever, and it was a pain. Lots of things to take apart in the steering column. Lucky I knew someone with the specialty tools. I guess my next step is to look into the motor park switch assembly. Don't know what else to check . Seems a shame to change the whole wiper motor ($100), but that might be my last option.

Bill

Reply to
William Ruscher