Wiper Switch

My 99 Camry has 45,000 miles on it, and the intermittent wipers have suddenly stopped working. My dealer said it's a bad wiper switch, and wants to charge me $228 parts and labor to replace it.

Three questions: (1) Is the intermittent wiper switch separate from the other wiper functions (in other words, can I live without replacing it?) (2) Can I use a standard (as opposed to a Toyota) part? (3) Can I do this myself?

Any help would be appreciated.

Liz

Reply to
Elizabeth Altman