timing change r&R 350

I have to change a timing chain on an 83 3/4 ton with the 350 engine. With no shop, and it being in the heat of about 100 degree's, does anyone want to hazard a guess about how long it might take, assuming no problems.

I figure four hours, give or take a few screwups.

I have to drive 4 hours to get to it, get it running and find a safe place to park it til I can get a chance to drive it back home.

Reply to
Patrick t.

I would say that 4 hours would be doable, like you said as long as things go well. I would premix the anti-freeze ahead of time so that all you have to do is dump it in. The crankshaft nut should come off OK. But again that's one of those things that can go wrong. If you have access to a portable compressed air tank and an impact wrench I'd bring that. And the obvious stuff like make sure you have all the tools you might need as well as a harmonic balancer puller.

Good luck to you.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

I'd add a hearty amen to that. I wouldn't even try to do the job without the harmonic balancer removal/installation tools.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton
*********************************************** I just did this job on a chev.350. One thing that added a couple hours to my job was the fact that the damper seal surface had grooves in it( from the seal contact) so to ensure a leak-free engine I had to either replace the damper or in this case, since it was in pretty good shape overall,I had a shop install a little collar for the seal to ride on. (very cheap procedure) Also,I never use a damper installation tool as the bolt with a big washer under it will do the job nicely. Best...........Brian

There are three kinds of lies: lies,damned lies,and statistics.

-Disraeli

Reply to
Brian Orion

Dont forget the following tools..... harmonic balancer INSTALLER. ( never believed in um untill a buddy MADE me use one God I love it.) soem fine grit sandpaper to clear out the groove in the crank so you can reinstall the woodruf key. some rtv blue for the oil pan and timing chain cover. Your metric tools as well. A good cheater bar, a razor scraper. A three jaw gear puller for the bottom gear ( its supposed to just pull off but.........

Reply to
seeray