Tranny Swap

I have a 1988 Chev with a 305 and a TH400 tranny. I want to know if its possible to put an overdrive tranny like a 4L60 or 4L80 from about the same year.

I know it would involve a different crossmember, mount, driveshaft, etc. What I need to know is if these transmissions were computer controlled and if I'm going to have serious issues trying to swap them?

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

. .

. . . . yes . . . .

. . . yes.......and no..(if money's not a cocern) . . . .

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his mushroom tea~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

careful... you may have dropped an 'n' in your tea. (wouldn't want you to choke) [naaah... don't worry, it's a lower case 'n' they're pretty small]

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I don't know that anything Marsh said is even coherant thought, and if he never replies to another one of my threads it will be too soon.

If you don't have any helpful information please keep your stupid comments to youself!

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

Nice attitude. Maybe the rest of the regs should ignore you too. Regards, JR

"Edmonton ChevGuy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@automotive-usenet.com...

Reply to
JR

I'm sorry if I offended you JR, but its a little frustrating when your asking for help and all you get are useless tidbits of BS. I thought this forum was for asking questions that you don't have answers to and possibley HELPING OTHERS with problems that you may have encountered that they are having issues with.

If I am wrong about this please let me know and I'll find another forum to get my answers from.

Truely Dissappointed.

P.S. If there is anyone else out there that agrees with please post to this as well

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

You catch a lot more flies with honey than vinegar.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I mean this most sincerely...

Fuck you!

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Ok this is a public news group. All kinds of people with all sorts of personalities have the ability to post here and say things that they might not say to you to your face (although many say they would.) Don't take offense at those kind of posts/posters and move along to the next post in the thread. If I took offense at every derogatory post made to me I would be a stark raving lunatic.

Oh wait, I AM a stark raving lunatic, never mind :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

========== ==========

Good for you, not knowing anything....that is, by the way...it's extremely Obivious by your post that you do not.

For more than a yes or no answer, you reeeeeelly need to start to Understand that you should ask for more than a simple yes or no, maybe ask for a Comment or a detailed explanation. You phrased the questions...not me you Kooky troll.

Yes, it's possible that maybe I don't have a firm grasp on the concept of Offering up a detailed explanation when only a yes or no answer should help one to Understand that the question asked was answered. If any other poster, being of Reasonable sound mind, were to ask for a detailed and clarifying Statement on the conditions, applications, and overall saneness of attempting Everything involved in a swap out of transmission types, and the overall Lengthy process that's included in it, not to mention the our of pocket Financial obligation one would be committed to.....i would offer it up.

you asked yes or no questions......you got yes or no answers. you want the answers you want..then ask the questions needed to get'm my friend.

and if that ain't clear enough for you......please.......feel free to read down the left margin....maybe a light bulb will go on for you.

~:~ MARSHMONSTER ~transmission tech~ ~gggggggggrrrrrrrr~ ~sips his mushroom tea.....fires up a bong........man......this is get'n to be some reeeeeeeelly good stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Actually, Marsh did answer your questions. You just have to read between the lines. Yes you can install an overdrive Tranny "like" the

4L60. (700R4) And Yes those (4L60, 4L80) are computer controlled Trannys. And NO, you can do it if you have the money to buy the know-how and adapters to make it work. A rebuilt 700R4 would be a better bet as it's not computer controlled and came as original equipment on most 87-88 K5 Blazers. Did your's come thru with the TH400? Or was it installed to replace a puked 700R4? We do like to keep it light here and have fun because we all know how frustrating it can be, so thicken up the skin, hang in there, and try to appreciate the knowledge (and humor) of the regs in the group.

Regards, JR

"Edmonton ChevGuy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@automotive-usenet.com...

Reply to
JR

Thanks for all the input people. And Marsh yeah I get the message, I'll try to watch the WORDING of my questions. And to the rest of you, you might want to check the thickness of your skin as well. I'm not the only one that over reacted.

So lets try this again

A few facts about the truck: It came from the factory with a TH400 - 305(5.0L) Combination I know that the Transmissions are different lengths and I will have to find a Driveshaft from a donor truck.

I know the transmission should bolt up to the engine

So here are the questions;

1.Do I have to change any of the wiring on the truck?
  1. Will I have to change the computer?
  2. I'm not sure of the flexplate will be the same, will I have to find one of those as well?

  1. I think the crossmember is the sameand I think all I have to do is get the proper mount and move the crossmember to the forward set of holes. Is this correct or do I also need to find the other crossmember?

Is that a better way to have asked my questions?

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

So what tranny do you want to swap for the Turbo 400?

Reply to
Meat Plow

So what tranny do you want to swap for the Turbo 400?

I would like to put in a 4-speed OD Automatic Tranny out of a 1988-1991 Chevrolet Truck

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

If it's an electronic shift tranny you might as well forget it. If not and only the OD is electronic you would not have OD.

Reply to
Meat Plow

=========== ===========

I am using the information in THE ABOVE post, and in your original post in order to tell you this..............

READ WHAT I TYPED......not what you want to hear......

with that said.............

DO A GOOGLE...... for transmission swaps..... i've got some sites....i could send you.....but you called me names and i'm not reeeeely over all that yet.......so...... find it yerself.

:)

You ARE fix'n to spend at least $3,000 to convert this thing. And.....if done professionally, which means you too, using the correct methods and parts, you will most likely be in the neighborhood of $4,000 after ALL is over with.

if you're still reading, and believing....read on........

The 4L80E would be overkill, and shudd'nt be considered unless you're doing long haul, heavy haul applications......in which case I would HIGHLY suggest a 5 speed manual tranny anyways. The 4L80E is a souped up version of the transmission you already have in the truck, namely...the TH400. But......the changeover will cost you about another $1500 or so MORE than what I listed above...again, if done correctly so NO problems are experienced post-repair. (meaning 12 months down the road..or less)

now......

If you're wanting to use a computer shift controlled unit in the truck, the 4L60E would be your best option if your heavy tow, hauling situations are going to be minimal, and the transmission WILL take the loads on accasional use, but the heat generated from consistant heavy towing and hauling will eventually pay a toll on the unit, and it WILL go out within 3 years usually. ( IF....used for heavy tow-haul situations...regularly)

You will need to purchase an aftermarket controller for the transmission, which will come with the harness for running into the cab. It will be a "stand alone unit" separate from your trucks computer.

You WILL need to get a new flywheel, the one for the TH400 should be weighted differently and the front pump section of the 4L60E is tender when it comes to the front seal, pump bushings, and convertor hub.

You will NOT have to change any other wiring in the truck.

Your trucks computer will NOT set a light because of it. Your truck has an extremely stupid computer...please... don't ask me to explain that, jest take my word for it..... or start a new thread......i've had enough fun with this one.

You ARE most likely going to have to modify the original cross member, which shudd'nt include anything other than poppin in another hole for the transmission mount stud to go through.

You're going to need a new front yoke on the driveshaft.

You're going to have to send YOUR driveshaft out to have it sized for the new length that WILL be needed. The service runs around $150 here in Pensacola..... I don't know where you live, don't care, don't want you tell'n me.....tell everybody else if you like,,but me, i'm not particularly interested.

The NEW shaft lenght WILL be measured from the center of the differential yoke to the tip of the transmission output shaft.....plus....4 inches.

You are going to need to modify the shift linkage going to the transmission. Again, minor deal, nothing major...you can wing it. And, if you have a performance shop in your town, there are linkage kits that make it real simple.

I would HIGHLY suggest installing a transmission oil cooler, doing away with the radiator completely.

Those are the nuances of a tranny model swap out........

flywheel stand alone controller crossmember modification driveshaft length shif linkage tranny cooler

you didn't ask.......but ima gonna tell you.........

i've done a couple hundred.........

so take the info fer whut itz wert, whered it cumd frum, and who dun give it tuh yuh.

oh yeah.....and the post....... yep, definately better.

~:~ marsh ~pours you a crown and coke......blows a bong hit yer way~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster