o/d trans swap

k guys heres the deal...i have a 69 Torino gt fastback with a 351 w/c4 auto combo...what i want to do is swap in a newer overdrive trans for better hiway cruisin( lower rpms...etc...etc..) what i dont want is something computer or electronicaly controlled....just good old fashioned shift with yer right hand kinda deal....any suggestions???

Reply to
Jay Anderson

"Jay Anderson" wrote in news:qbd2f.126563$oW2.123158@pd7tw1no:

Well, there's some guys on here who would know that but why not search the net with google for a higher concentration of users... this as you see is primarily a common-systems-fix type forum.

Try also:

rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

As there are a lot of swap-savvy guys on there. My guess would be the AOD

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

About the only thing you can look for is an AOD or some flavor. You need to find one from behind a 351W for two reasons. It will aloready be up to handling the 351 with respect to clutch packs and the flywheel balance is not the same as a 5.0L. The problem with a regular AOD is the requirement for the throttle cable to keep the line pressure correct and operate passing gear. There my be someone arond who has a likkage kit but, the trans is finnicky and will destroy itself if you can't keep the pressures up properly.

The AOD-E is the electronic version used from about '92 up thru about 1995 in cars. They are plentiful. You will need the small block Winsor bell housing pattern. I don't know if this was used in the cars.

If you can find and afford it, your best selection would be a 4R70W which is electronically controlled. It can be found in the light trucks from about '93 up and cars from about

1996. Folks like Baumann Brothers should have a kit to operate it making installation about as easy as using an AOD with a bunch stronger gearbox and a wide ratio gear set to get the Torino off the line a bit quicker than the AOD.

I think if you go to the Mustang group, you may find quite a bit of help getting it OD'd

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

IIRC they have a manual you can dlwith all manner of information.
is another good source.

I got the following from

for converting my

65 Mustang C4 to AOD....

You would need at least our level 1 transmission with a shift kit or level 2. #94X crossmember #89 throttle valve cable #89X AOD shift lever You will need a flywheel with a 11 1/2 inch bolt circle if you have a

10 1/2 inch now.

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
Reply to
Spike