What Is This Truck Worth?

I currently own a '78 Chevy Big 10, bought new, with 320,000 miles on it. It has a 350-4 barrel. I'm told that #8 cylinder has no compression. The truck is rusted out and I really need to replace it.

I'm looking at an '84 Silverado 2WD with auto, ps/pb, cruise, tilt, electric windows and locks, 305 V8. The body is in good shape. The young man that owns it has taken excellent care of it. He said he is the second owner. He said it has 87,000 miles on it. The air conditioning doesn't work and he said it may cost up to $1,000 to fix it. My air in the '78 doesn't work and it isn't worth fixing it, and I'm really tired of cooking in the summer. So, air is important. The owner said he advertised it at $6,000 because he really didn't want to sell it. He is looking for $4,000 or any reasonable offer. I don't know much about the 305 engine. Were they OK?

What would be a reasonable offer on this pickup? Appreciate your ideas on it.

Reply to
Ann Meffert

Hi!

I've heard that the 305 is not a really powerful motor, but a good engine nonetheless.

To fix your A/C will probably not cost $1,000, unless the system is really fouled up and needs many new parts, like a compressor, coils, or lines. Most of the time fixing the leaks, draining the system and converting to 134A will be all that is needed to get the A/C going again. Total cost exactly: I couldn't say, but I don't think it would be anywhere close to 1,000 if all the parts are there, reasonably functional, and connected.

Take it from the owner of an '84 GMC Sierra...the motor and tranny will probably go on forever or darn close to. Mine still runs pretty well like new...but trust me, unless steps have been taken, rust will claim your truck's body before you know what hit it. At 219,000 some odd miles, the body on mine is not great. It has holes and missing parts, but nothing so bad that it cannot legally be driven--if it had to be.

The price of $4,000 seems rather high, but if the body is good you could maybe justify it, although something tells me a newer truck with working A/C and the same geegaws could possibly be had for less if you find the right seller. I'd offer $3,000 and see if the seller would take that.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I recently sold a '84 Sierra w/ 80,000 original miles for $1200. I just wanted it outta my driveway. Everything but the A/C worked.

The 305 doesn't hold a candle to a 350, but is a descent engine.

KB

Reply to
KB

Ann:

The used car and truck market is a buyer's market right now b/c of all the dealer and factory initiatives being offered on new cars and trucks, thus driving down used prices.

My gut feel is that you should walk away from this deal. Whatever you pay for a used truck, you'll need to

1st pay to have it checked out and 2nd, have 20% of the cost of the truck saved up for repairs.

Tom Welch

Reply to
Tom Welch

Thanks for everyone's reply. I did a search on the nadaguides website. The truck comes up around $2700 average retail and $1800 low retail. I will probably pass on it, but if the guy wants to come down a lot, I might get it checked out. Appreciate your advice and I'll keep hoping for a winning lotto ticket and a new GMC Sierra!

I'm looking at an '84 Silverado 2WD with auto, ps/pb, cruise, tilt, electric windows and locks, 305 V8. The body is in good shape. The young man that owns it has taken excellent care of it. He said he is the second owner. He said it has 87,000 miles on it. The air conditioning doesn't work and he said it may cost up to $1,000 to fix it. My air in the '78 doesn't work and it isn't worth fixing it, and I'm really tired of cooking in the summer. So, air is important. The owner said he advertised it at $6,000 because he really didn't want to sell it. He is looking for $4,000 or any reasonable offer. I don't know much about the 305 engine. Were they OK?

What would be a reasonable offer on this pickup? Appreciate your ideas on it.

Reply to
Ann Meffert

Good luck, Ann!

Kyle