wildly OT - what on earth is this?

It has mains going into it, and another wire out to somewhere I couldn't trace.

Some kind of alarm?

The house didn't appear to have any kind of burglar alarm (other than some really old looking thing that just had sensors on the doors of the lean to outbuilding).

Reply to
Paul Everett

StaffBull

I presume it is. Don't know for sure. No idea what is inside. There's another open viewing of the house at the weekend though, and I might be tempted to have a look. I would be worried that when I opened it some alarm would go off that I couldn't stop though ;)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Reply to
StaffBull

Is the vendor / was the previous owner elderly by any chance?

Reply to
Mother

I had thought it might be some kind of panic alarm too. No idea on the previous occupier. It's one of three houses up for sale as the owner has died, but I'm assuming the owner lived in the huge great one that's for sale for "offers over 500,000" rather than the little end terraced one I'm looking at. There is a similar looking white box in that house though too (although that one is missing its antenna and also doesn't have the "Chubb" box next to it).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

If the other house has one it's got to be some sort of RF linked alarm - but RF stuff has not got much range ( legal output that is!) unless its 80211G cant see it being that either. It seems a bit of an overkill for an rf system though the box is huge! - don't switch it off though you might loose Sky TV's uplink !!!

LOL

Reply to
StaffBull

Could be a Paknet Alarm Interface run by Vodafone

Mike

Reply to
Mike Jones Super Hero

It looks very much like a company alarm system junction box for all the sensors, you might find if you open the box it may well trigger the alarm, it could also be wired directly to a telephone line. GGJ

Its very much like the one we have at work

Reply to
Gary G Jones

I wasn't making that assumption, it was just that I thought the curtains looked really naff... ;-)

Reply to
Mother

Forgot the...

Boom boom... ;-)

Actually, the system looks very similar to a first alert "help I've fallen down the stairs again nurse" type system. The wrinkly would have had a small keyfob style blipper on a cord around neck - well, usually left by the bed actually, which is why they weren't very successful...

Reply to
Mother

From what you say, and what others have suggested it looks very likely to be some sort of panic thing - the chubb box looks like it has a speaker on it. The 'other' wire coming out could well be a phone line - but the cable looks a bit like overkill for a phone line to me...

IF you getr a chance to look inside.....

Reply to
Chris Naylor

Wifes grandmother had one of these in her house, it is indeed a panic alarm, homeowner has a button on a sort ot medalion thing around neck.

Press alarm button and box rings a preset number, was carer in our case, carer can talk to user via speaker and reset it remotely if false alarm.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
chris

Is it possible that the wire coming out of the left side of the box goes to the mains plug at the bottom of the picture? Looking at the curvature of the cable it might just.

No idea what the box is though :-)

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

You've never seen the 'standard' armoured telephone wire that Chubb use for their alarm and fire detection systems, then! :-)

When I were a lad some 15 odd years ago (alright, alright...) I had to supervise a Chubb engineer putting our fire alarm in at the place I worked. He appeared to bring in lots and lots of stuff he didn't use, but didn't leave with it. Inside the main control box was some 30M of coilled wire, the two phone lines were connected to the control box with what looked like 30A flex (second phone line was the intruder alarm, I think / hope). Mains supply was hardwired from a dedicated spur...

2/3 of the control box was filled with lead acid batteries and the control box itself was fixed to the wall with 8 x 3" throwbolts.

It worked, though - as proven :-)

Reply to
Mother

Yes, my boyfriend's got one of those. He leaves it hanging downstairs above the mantlepiece......

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Well I have to admit to being more than a little shocked by that.

I think, and I'm sure others would back me up on this, it's cruel and inhumane in the extreme to hang an elderly person over the mantlepiece... I shall confront him about this when he cadges a rollie of me at Billing...

Reply to
Mother

Yes, we'll be up again this year. I have a collection of 101 parts to hand over to the bloke who bought my 101 back off me. (hello andy) They're cluttering up my garage.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex Said

Hello Alex.

Reply to
Andy

'ang on a mo...

Which "Andy" are you... ?

Do you live near Birmingham ?

Have I got you 'on my list' (if you know what i mean)? :-)

Reply to
Mother