2003 Dodge intrepid 2.7 engine cam tone ring swap question?

swapped out the flex plate and I was told to change the cam tone ring on the left camshaft, So I removed the cam tone ring from the 2003 engine without removing the cam sprocket and holding the camshaft with a breaker bar. During the process the left camshaft rotated slightly while staying on the shaft and I can still see the bolt holes. Seems like, I could remove the bolts that hold the cam ring in place without removing the cam sprocket while watching which way the camshaft rotates and then remove the old cam ring, install the correct one and then rotate the camshaft slightly to align with the bolt holes? Edit/Delete Message
Reply to
WILLIAM HILL