300C 2005 Speedometer Inaccurate

Anyone else have a problem with speedometer inaccuracy? I've taken it to the dealer twice. They say its within tolerance. At 70 MPH it is off 3-4 MPH per my GPS system (2). Recently this caused me to get a ticket when I failed to read the speedometer and instantly add 4 MPH to it. My wife is not likely to add the difference. The dealer has checked the computer to make sure it is correct for the tires and so on.

I'm considering this is cause for a recall if other 300C's are also defective. The thing is that most owners are probably oblivious to the problem.

Reply to
Bill B.

The last I checked I believe 6% +/- was the tolerance for speedometer accuracy. I doubt very seriously that you were issued a speeding ticket for going 3 to 4 miles over the speed limit. And as far as a recall goes, its not a safety issue.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

No, he probably thought he was going 3-4 miles over the limit when he was actually going 8 miles over the limit. If that was the case then I think he makes a good case that he was, in fact, issued a ticket, since as you point out, very few cops will write a ticket for 3-4 miles over the speed limit.

I suspect your trying to make the point that he shouldn't have even tried going over the speed limit at all, in the first place. I don't have a problem with that philosophy - as long as none of the drivers -in front- of me adopt it. (Heh Heh)

I disagree. A responsible automaker would produce a speedo that reads too HIGH rather than too LOW if they are going to produce an inaccurate speedo. That would tend to reduce the drivers actual speed.

In any case, I don't understand why this isn't a solvable problem. Why doesen't the dealership simply program in a larger set of wheels into the car computer? The speedo will then read high and the driver will be saved from having to think when he is driving.

The interesting thing I think here is the OP is bitching that he got a ticket since his speedo is reading low - but I don't hear him bitching that he's getting extra mileage under his vehicle warranty since his odometer is reading low. Funny how when the error is in their favor that they don't complain! ;-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
philthy

Do you get the same results when you use highway mile markers over a 5 or ten mile distance?

Bill Putney