91 Plymouth Acclaim stalls

My soninlaws, v/6 stalls out and you can hear the relay (I believe it's the fuel pump relay)starts to click on and off, this is after the car stalls. It usually restarts but stalls again in a matter of seconds. But there are moments when it just runs fine. I'm thinking fuel pump or filter. Any other Ideas out there please.

Reply to
BobbyG

How carefully is the car maintained? It's difficult to change the fuel filter or service the entire PCV system too often on this car; most people neglect both. Your problem could be fuel-related, though it sounds somewhat more likely to be electrical. There are numerous relays mounted adjacent to one another along the driver's side of the engine bay that could be clicking -- ASD relay, fuel pump relay, A/C clutch relay, rad fan relay -- what makes you think it's the fuel pump relay?

Way too many possible causes to suggest a component to replace at this point. MAP sensor or its hoses or wiring, distributor optical pickup or its wiring, etc. etc. on and on. Before you do anything, see if any flash trouble codes are stored in the computer's memory.

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on, leaving it "ON". Do not go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on, then go off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored. For instance, if it flashes:

flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a

55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No codes stored. Check the codes and report what you find.
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern