broken idler pulley/tensioner bolt - '90 Lebaron

like an idiot, I overtightened the bolt that secures the tensioner assembly (timing belt) while changing the water pump. Obviously I'm going to need a screw extraction kit, some drill bits, and my B & D. I can't help but wonder if I'm going to break the damned extractor in the attempt. I soaked the thing several times w/PB. I guess I can resort to drilling it all out and tapping a new hole. So...anyone familiar w/this type of job? Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
JustMe

and if anyone happens to know how long that bolt is, I could use that bit of information. Or...will I know it if I'm drillin too far into the engine block...

Reply to
JustMe

Not sure exactly what you are referring to because you don't specify an engine size. But if you overtightened a bolt and it broke off you don't need to soak it. it isn't something that is rusted into the threads.And im sure the bolt didn't bottom out and break. So you should be able to remove the broken bolt rather easy. Purchase left turning drill bit (designed to remove broken bolts) and you may get lucky and walk it right out.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Also, if the broken end is not recessed, you could weld a smaller bolt or rod to use to turn it out with (avoids the broken-off extractor scenario).

Bill Putney

Another suggestion is a trick i've used several times..

Take a really really sharp and pointy center punch and your hammer and punch the bolt near the outside edge of the circle. Now angle the punch in the mark you just made such that when you strike the punch with your hammer, you will be turning the bolt counter-clockwise. Works sometimes.

One time I was removing a clutch slave from an Iveco truck. Someone was trying to remove it before me but neglected to tell me they practically snapped one of the bolts already. I put the wrench on and *SNAP*... had to pull the transmission to drill out the bolt.. LOL

Reply to
Nza

stop drilling when you see oil coming out of the hole..

LOL.. sorry couldn't resist

Reply to
Nza