Disable EGR Valve, Problem???

Group,

I have a Plymouth Voyager (98) with a 3.3L about to turn 100K miles.

The check engine light just came on indicating low egr flow (which I guess means its not opening). The vacuum supply line is good.

What I'd like to know is will it cause any problems if I simply didn't repair it? I only want to keep this luxury sled about 1 more year.

If I disable the EGR (by blocking the vacuum hose or other way), how to I silence the check engine light for this alarm?

BTW, we don't get smog checked here.

Thanks Tom

Reply to
Tom M

Yes. You will have reduced mileage and the risk of engine damage, as well as the likelihood of causing yourself more costly repairs. This is not

1974, when emission control devices were slapped on piecemeal. The EGR system is integral to the engine management system's efficacy.

What has this to do with anything? Fix it!

You don't.

So? Even if the *only* effect of a malfunctioning EGR valve were increased emissions -- which it is not -- everyone has to breathe whatever crap your vehicle puts out, regardless of whether you get smog checked or not. Selfish attitudes like yours are what brings the hassle and expense of smog checks to more and more new areas every year.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

It may simply be a clogged valve or passage. Removing the valve and cleaning it, and blowing out the passages with compressed air may be sufficient to get it working again.

On modern engines, EGR is used as a means to suppress/reduce detonation and knocking WITHOUT excessively retarding timing in addition to controlling emissions. When EGR fails to work correctly, at a minimum the engine controller has to retard timing and therefore reduce efficiency... at WORST the computer may not be able to control detonation completely and engine damage can occur. Most Chrysler engines I've dealt with can compensate enough to avoid damage, but I wouldn't risk it for long. Some engines (notably some 80s Cadillac v8s) will pretty much self-destruct when EGR quits.

Reply to
Steve

How do you figure that?

A loose gas cap or a dirty air filter will cause the check engine light to come on as well as a whole pile of other things.

Did you get the engine codes to narrow it down?

Mike

Mike Romain

I've been running with the EGR disconnected on my car for over 10 years. No damage, no reduced gas mileage. In fact, the car has a bit better throttle response too.

Reply to
Jim

And the model and engine of you CAR is?!?! (The Plymouth Voyager happens to be a VAN)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt