Flush steering fluid

plymouth, horizon, 4 door, silver, 1987 is the car Just wondering what is the best way to Flush the steering fluid, the manual doesn't really show much detail on the subject.

-- God Bless you my friends. Ephesians 6:11-20 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Reply to
KOG

Remove the return line from the reservoir, couple an extension hose to it & run it into a catch can. Disable the ignition & crank the engine for a little while. Add clean fluid, repeat the cranking & watch for the fluid to clear, repeat as necessary until the fluid is as clear as you desire. It won't get completely clear but it will clear considerably.

Tom Heintz "Mopar Maniac"

Reply to
Tom & Debbie Heintz

how do I disable the ignition & crank the engine? Can I flush the reservoir with hot soapy water after I get the return line off? I have never done this, please bear with me. The reason I am doing this is due to the previous owner put break fluid in instead of steering fluid.

Reply to
KOG

Don't disable the ignition, just START the darn thing. Pour fluid in slowly as the pump begins to "suck air" and then shut off after you've run a couple of quarts throughl. You'll burn up 5 starter motors before you ever empty the reservoir if you try to do it by cranking it.

Reply to
Steve

Absolutely no soap and water.

Also, with the engine running as Steve said, cycle the steering back and forth from one limit to the other to get more fluid exchange in the rack as you flush.

Bill Putney

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg

Thanks all :) "Richard Ehrenberg @hvc.rr.com>" Dunno about the hot soapy water...you will "brake" the pump more than the