GOODBYE to the PT Cruiser

From AB

*** Chrysler's long-lived PT Cruiser will finally roll off into the sunset next month after a decade in production. According to the Detroit Free Press, when the 2010 model year winds down at Chrysler's Toluca, Mexico plant on July 9, the final Cruisers will be produced. The retro-styled five door hatchback was a sensation when it debuted and inspired customers to pay a premium over the sticker price to get one. Over the years, the styling was tweaked only slightly its competitiveness declined significantly as DaimlerChrysler steadfastly refused to invest in it.

The Cruiser was originally earmarked for discontinuation a year ago, but when Chrysler emerged from bankruptcy, it needed product, so the automaker kept it alive for another 12 months. The Toluca factory will now be re-tooled for production of another retro-design small car, the Fiat 500 which joins the Chrysler lineup later this year.

****
Reply to
JLA

That's like going from a Packard to a go-kart. A "retro-design" 500 is still the same piece of shit it was in the old days.

Reply to
sctvguy1

On what basis do you make this statement?

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'

[...]

A "retro-design" 500 is

Reply to
DAS

My step-father had one in the very early '60s(ex-USAF). Traded it in on a

53 Buick. My brother had an X-1-9 sports car, pre-rusted POS, would never run correctly. My brother dumped it for a 70 Buick Skylark.
Reply to
sctvguy1

You did not answer my question. Pls look at your original statement again, which contains the phrase "still the same piece...".

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterl>

Reply to
DAS

Updated POS!

Reply to
sctvguy1

So you actually know nothing about the new cars....

The old Fiats and, indeed Alfa Romeos, were famous as rust buckets.

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'

Reply to
DAS

Oh, no! FIATs in the US again?

Mechanics cheer!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Oh, no! FIATs in the US again?

Mechanics cheer!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Better than the old ones. Mechanics and bodyshop workers may cheer less. We'll see.

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterl [...]>

Reply to
DAS

C'mon! FIAT kept many a corner mechanic in business until they pulled the plug!

Ever driven a LADA? Hard to conceptualize, but it's a FIAT, only WORSE!!!!!

In all fairness, the new 500 looks like a cool car. If they make good I'd even consider one.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

What the hell are you doing in this group?? LOL Check out my thread.. 1949 chrysler royal

Reply to
Nza

I just did.

Believe it or not, one of my most favorite vehicles on Earth is...'94-95 Chrysler minivans. Well, not the mini-minivans, although we had one when the kids were little. I like the long-wheelbase version. Had three of those, one AWD, and one well on it's way to Toyota type mileage.

I also had an LHS ('94) that I traded when I bought the Scion, and have been kicking myself ever since. For $600, I should have kept it. I don't like large American cars, but that thing was GREAT, got ~28 MPG combined, and handled almost as well as an old Celica I had!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Could this have been the NEXT PT Cruiser??

From AB

The end of production of the Chrysler PT Cruiser prompted someone to try his hand at rendering what could have been a next-generation edition of the retro hatchback. It's often been said that following up a retro design is particularly difficult, though admittedly, BMW has managed to do so with the Mini.

The artist, Andrew Currie, has taken his cue from Mini by retaining the original PT's basic shape, with the biggest changes applied to the nose. A larger grille with four round, exposed headlamps still retains the flavor of the outgoing model. If the design were applied to a more modern platform with an up-to-date powertrain and better handling, it's certainly possible it could have been successful. The problem is that such designs tend to be fashion statements, and you know what they say about "One day you're in ..." In part, Mini's success has come by expanding the concept to different body styles including the Clubman, Countryman and the upcoming coupe and roadster. It's not clear that a single PT variant could do the job. View the attachments for this post at:

JLA

Damn, i didn't realise you were an old mofo.. LOL! I have sworn off marriage and children, personally.. i already pay enough taxes.. no need to strap the little bastards with debt before they are conceived...

Reply to
Nza

Several years ago there was a rumor that Chrysler would make the next- gen PT on the Sebring platform and go with a of course much modified and updated version of the old Airflow.

Reply to
CopperTop

The PT Cruiser didn't quite meet my needs, but I gave it a close look. I know the 500 puddle jumper is not what I need, so it won't get me in the Chrysler salesroom. Over the last few years Chrysler has wasted money using their trucks as an attraction in direct mail outs to me, not my interest either. Why the hell would a house of always two Chrysler cars over 25 years want a truck? I can see that the 500 may be attractive as a two person commuter car.

At this time the VW 2.0L diesel has my interest. I'll be looking closely at the slightly larger Jetta VW plans to manufacture in their new USA plant.

Reply to
Josh S

Which year? 1934, 35,36,37. Great car. I saw one at a Chrysler show where someone had installed a Fluid Drive from a later Chrysler, it was really sweet! Also, don't forget the DeSoto Airflow!

Reply to
sctvguy1