PT Cruiser speakers: worth replacing?

Hi folks,

I was wondering if we should replace the stock speakers in our '03 Cruiser. Nothing wrong with them, I suppose, but there seems to be a lack of definition and umph overall with the usual performance penalty as the volume increases. I read that the speakers are actually split up into dome tweeters in the front, woofers in the front doors, and midranges in the rear, so I would think I'd replace with the same types. I'm also interested in installing a moderate sub-woofer - not something that will make the car bounce.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Nixon

Reply to
khobar

I'd be careful about making assumptions - find out for sure.

My 97 Intrepid has the stock cassette deck, which I replaced with a CD unit. It has a pair of full range in the rear, and I believe tweeters in the front and mid/low in the door. I replaced the rear speakers - fairly easy if you can lie down in the Intrepid trunk. But now as they are more efficient than the fronts, I have to rebalance the sound. My guess is that the door speakers are probably full range speaker which are controlled by a cross-over which splits the sound between the tweeters and the mid range. If so, you probably want to be careful about replacing one and not the other.

Where are you going to fit a sub without taking up cargo space? Better to buy your full range speakers with a good bass sound.

James Linn

Reply to
James Linn

I agree. I was going on information came from:

"The PT Cruiser sound system is connected to six premium speakers, including instrument panel-mounted, dome tweeters, large woofers in the front doors and midrange speakers in the rear pillars creating a balanced sound throughout the cabin."

I am assuming the US model is the same.

I am unsure it can even be done. I was thinking one of the smaller subs mounted on the passenger side beneath the shelf and forward of the jack storage area. I *might* be able to get an 8" in there, but I see the fuel filler door is on the outside of that same area which means there's a chance the fuel filler tube would be a problem.

So perhaps better quality speakers all around would be the way to go.

Thanks.

Paul Nixon

Reply to
khobar

Check THIS site:

(note- it appears DOWN for 2 weeks, but in the Guides section once its back up, is a whole area on replacing the OEM speakers with specs and details and sugested alternatives)

Sean

PT_Sean