Question about engine value, or lack there of.

Hi all;

This question may sound really dumb. But I'll ask anyway.

I have an older, 1986, Plymouth Voyager with a carburated Mitsu 2.4 I4 and automatic tranny. A friend of my dads said that particular engine is supposedly worth some decent money. I'm not convinced so thats why I'm here and ask:

Is the engine actually worth anything at all?

Thanks. Alvie.

Reply to
Alvie

jdoe

If you are in North America, that Mitsu is a 2.6 liter, and it is a "timb bomb". Not much value for anything but a boat anchor unless it has been properly overhauled and all of the dozen or so modifications required made properly.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Depends on who you are and what you want.

If you're looking for a good reliable engine, the Mitsu 2.6 (not 2.4) is worthless. You'd have to pay most knowledgable folks to own one.

But the funny thing about really BAD engines is that if you're in the used parts business, they can make your annual income because there's such a a high demand for replacements (actually, I think even that time has passed for the Mitsu 2.6). As an example, a friend of mine has owned a salvage operation for decades, and he says the most profitable engines he ever dealt with were 1) the Cadillac HT4100, and 2) the Mitsu 2.6. Sure, a lot of cars wound up in his junkyard BECAUSE those lousy engines had exploded, but on the other hand whenever a wrecked Cadillac or Dodge Minivan with one of those engines that still ran would come in, he could put any price he wanted on it and sell it "no warranty" and it would be gone in a matter of days if not hours, because the market was so starved for running engines of those types.

Reply to
Steve

Hi all,

Thanks for the info. It is much appreciated.

I think it is a 2.6 I4, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks again. Alvie.

Reply to
Alvie

Hi Steve.

The van has no sentimental value. So I'll take whatever I can get for it. At the junkyard or something.

Alvie.

Reply to
Alvie

He's confusing this with the vans that came with turbo 2.5L 4 bangers in

1989 and 1990.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

If it's a Mitsu 2.6, its value is not just 0 but negative and its only use is as an anchor for a fairly small boat.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer