Strong SUV sales

Maybe the bank president has grandchildren. If so, how is he supposed to pick them all up at the airport when they come to visit? Or maybe he helps out with "Meals on wheels" on the weekend. Who are you to judge what people "need" in a vehicle? Looks more like jealousy and sour grapes to me.

Just so I have this straight, I shouldn't be judging anyone but you are telling me I am jealous and suffering from sour grapes? Ok, now that the pot calling the kettle black is out of the way...
I've lived next door to him for the last 18 years so I have a very good idea of what he delivers (or rather doesn't) etc. If I can afford to live in his neighborhood then I can well afford to drive what he's driving but I do not to let my ego sway the choices I make.

Alright, fair enough. Rich people tend to overdo a lot of things (fancy French meals that aren't filling, useless ornaments and fountains, etc.), but most SUV owners I know have large families so there is nothing excessive or unnecessary about it.

Son of a gun, I never even thought that he might be having French food too. That greedy bastard. ;)

Well, every "fine dining" experience I've had recently has involved a trip to Wendy's afterwards, which causes more global warming.
Siskuwihane wrote:
[...]

In what others ways is he living his life not to your satisfaction?
And how do you suggest remedying this? I suggest that the first thing you will have to do is shitcan what's left of the Constitution. Don't worry about that, Congress is almost done.
What then?
Cheers,
Rich
Siskuwihane wrote:

Is property ownership based on need?

What part of "majority of people" and "most of the time" was unclear? Clearly people have different needs. I certainly can understand that a large family might need a larger vehicle than a Corolla. But how many families "need" a 7 or 8 passenger SUV? On the other hand, I would never think it was reasonable for me to tell you (or anyone else) what to buy. As I also said - "If your goal is to tell me what I should buy, then I think you should move to another country."
Ed

Ed White wrote:

I don't see how you can make an assessment like that.
Please explain how you gained this knowledge of the majority of people most of the time.

And yet you've decided that a corolla would meet most people's needs.

My Honda Accord works, but it's a bit cramped. I drive it to and from work alone however.

I don't think SUVs seat that many. You need a van.

Odd, I was under the distinct impression that you already had.

This seemed to disagree with the rest of the post.
Cheers,
Rich

LOL - You obviously saw how I made it....whether you agree with it or not.

Even you can figure this out by watching traffic. What percentage of cars do you see carrying more than 2 people? I am positive that even you would agree the number is less than 50%.

You are ignoring the context of the original statement .But I think I am safe when I say that a Corolla would meet the transportation needs of most people most of the times. Now whether it would meet their other needs (ego primarily) I can't say. Clearly lots of people (including me) justify buying other vehicles. I think Corollas are ugly, slow, ride poorly, and are uncomfortable, but I am pretty sure they would get me where I need to go. Don't confuse needs with wishes, wants, and desires. I am sure that Corollas don't meet the wishes, wants, or desires of most people (even some people who buy them).

Expedition, Suburban, Sequoia, Explorer, Tahoe, and many others all have seats for 7 or more.

I never said you should buy a Corolla, I just said "anything larger / more powerful than a Corolla is unnecessary most of the time."

No, you didn't read the original post in context, then you started cherry picking parts of the post to nit pick, and finally you implied I said things I never said (i.e. - I never said you should buy a Corolla or any other particular vehicle). My point was (perhaps poorly made) was that it is unfair to attack SUV owners based on whether or not they actually need an SUV. Most people buy vehicles that far exceed what they actually need. If you are going to pick on SUV owners, you should also pick on most other vehicle buyers.
Ed

I own a 2003 Corolla and it's an excellent commuter car. Terrible family car though (which is why we also have something bigger).
Ed White wrote:

    The number of stupid and unnecessary vehicles is pretty large. Is anything     stupider and more unnecessary than a LS460h or a Rolls Royce? Or how about     200 mph motorcycles? Could anything be stupider? For a majority of people     anything larger / more powerful than a Corolla is unnecessary most of the     time. Trying to draw a line between reasonable and unreasonable vehicles is     a pretty hard thing to do. If your goal is to tell me what I should buy,     then I think you should move to another country.
I see some claims, I don't see any data or supporting evidence.

During rush hour, not many including myself.

I'm unclear on the validity of extrapolating my limited observations to everywhere, everybody and everwhen. My rush hour observations are denied by my driving the rest of time anyway.

It lacked any meaningful content, at least IMHO.

How many families in the US?

You mean you don't drive a corolla? :-)

By that metric, so would a cooper mini (which I expect would be faster).

OK.
As you say, the smaller SUVs won't, but I've never shopped for one or looked closely.

So it's just a utilitarian argument (the value of which is not settled)?

I responded to most of it.

You mean when I said "Odd, I was under the distinct impression that you already had"? That statement was properly qualified, if you did not read it closely.

Hold on one minute, who's picking on SUV owners here? :-)
Cheers,
Rich

If you were really and truly serious, you could take a real step and go without a car all together. No...you don't need a car, no matter how small or how fuel efficient it is. You can use public transport or a bicycle to and from work...and to get your food, and to do your shopping. Cars, all of them, are not a need, but a luxury.
Harley wrote:

How long is your bike ride to work?
Cheers,
Rich

To dang far. That's why I drive my Silverado V8. ;-)

I am in the "walk everywhere I go unless I get a ride from someone" club currently and am trying to get a '95 Caravan so I can safely say that walking sux. In the summer it isn't so bad and can even be fun sometimes except for trying to get $50 worth of groceries home from Aldi in a double stroller. Right now I hate it because we (SE Iowa) just got another 6" of snow and I had to walk in the street to the grocery store because most sidewalks including mine aren't cleaned off. I felt like I had walked twice as far after the trip as I really did because my feet slid backwards a little with every step. Yes all cars are a luxury but they are one luxury that is starting to look mighty fine to me right now d:). BTW as I typed this a POS H2 went by.

You're an extremist, extreme right?
The Corolla is a nice car and would fill my urban driving needs, but unfortunately it needs a telescoping steering wheel for me to drive it comfortably. I've looked at it very closely. I've had large vehicles, even a full sized van when I needed it.
A truck based SUV is unnecessary for me even though I could write a cheque for the largest of them. I don't buy something just because I can easily afford it.
I really wouldn't care if people drive large SUVs, but dam it they block the view of other traffic. Plus many driving them attempt to push others off the roads, driving far too close and too fast. NOTE I SAID MANY, not all. If they continued to buy the Transam GM wouldn't have had to shut the factory.
As for the need to have an SUV, nope not the way I see it in my necj of the woods. For example neighbors across the street have 3 large SUVs and two cars. Each adult has one large SUV and one of their three unmarried children. Obviously they only need one at the most, but like many they just have to spend their high income on SUVs.
BTW I'm already in another country, thank goodness!
Spam away wrote:

And we agree on that.

I like the Simposons' rep[onse:
Can you name the truck with four wheel drive, smells like a steak and seats thirty-five..
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down, It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown!
Canyonero! (Yah!) Canyonero! [Krusty:] Hey Hey
[Voice over] The Federal Highway commission has ruled the Canyonero unsafe for highway or city driving.
Canyonero!
12 yards long, 2 lanes wide, 65 tons of American Pride!
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Top of the line in utility sports, Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!
Canyonero! Canyonero! (Yah!)
She blinds everybody with her super high beams, She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!
Canyonero!-oh woah, Canyonero! (Yah!)
Fran

i love that episode, so i dedicate this to you and trevor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCZjYLb7ITM