Strong SUV sales

How long is your bike ride to work?

Cheers,

Rich

Reply to
Rich

What part of "majority of people" and "most of the time" was unclear? Clearly people have different needs. I certainly can understand that a large family might need a larger vehicle than a Corolla. But how many families "need" a 7 or 8 passenger SUV? On the other hand, I would never think it was reasonable for me to tell you (or anyone else) what to buy. As I also said - "If your goal is to tell me what I should buy, then I think you should move to another country."

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

There is no "rush hour" where I live. Many who live within walking distance of work are driving. In such a small town you know who's driving what, where they work and how many people they have in their family. I can count on one hand the number of people who "need" such a vehicle and it isn't the bank president whose only child is grown and on her own.

Reply to
Siskuwihane

Maybe the bank president has grandchildren. If so, how is he supposed to pick them all up at the airport when they come to visit? Or maybe he helps out with "Meals on wheels" on the weekend. Who are you to judge what people "need" in a vehicle? Looks more like jealousy and sour grapes to me.

Reply to
Professor1942

To dang far. That's why I drive my Silverado V8. ;-)

Reply to
Harley

I don't see how you can make an assessment like that.

Please explain how you gained this knowledge of the majority of people most of the time.

And yet you've decided that a corolla would meet most people's needs.

My Honda Accord works, but it's a bit cramped. I drive it to and from work alone however.

I don't think SUVs seat that many. You need a van.

Odd, I was under the distinct impression that you already had.

This seemed to disagree with the rest of the post.

Cheers,

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Just so I have this straight, I shouldn't be judging anyone but you are telling me I am jealous and suffering from sour grapes? Ok, now that the pot calling the kettle black is out of the way...

I've lived next door to him for the last 18 years so I have a very good idea of what he delivers (or rather doesn't) etc. If I can afford to live in his neighborhood then I can well afford to drive what he's driving but I do not to let my ego sway the choices I make.

Reply to
Siskuwihane

LOL - You obviously saw how I made it....whether you agree with it or not.

Even you can figure this out by watching traffic. What percentage of cars do you see carrying more than 2 people? I am positive that even you would agree the number is less than 50%.

You are ignoring the context of the original statement .But I think I am safe when I say that a Corolla would meet the transportation needs of most people most of the times. Now whether it would meet their other needs (ego primarily) I can't say. Clearly lots of people (including me) justify buying other vehicles. I think Corollas are ugly, slow, ride poorly, and are uncomfortable, but I am pretty sure they would get me where I need to go. Don't confuse needs with wishes, wants, and desires. I am sure that Corollas don't meet the wishes, wants, or desires of most people (even some people who buy them).

Expedition, Suburban, Sequoia, Explorer, Tahoe, and many others all have seats for 7 or more.

I never said you should buy a Corolla, I just said "anything larger / more powerful than a Corolla is unnecessary most of the time."

No, you didn't read the original post in context, then you started cherry picking parts of the post to nit pick, and finally you implied I said things I never said (i.e. - I never said you should buy a Corolla or any other particular vehicle). My point was (perhaps poorly made) was that it is unfair to attack SUV owners based on whether or not they actually need an SUV. Most people buy vehicles that far exceed what they actually need. If you are going to pick on SUV owners, you should also pick on most other vehicle buyers.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Alright, fair enough. Rich people tend to overdo a lot of things (fancy French meals that aren't filling, useless ornaments and fountains, etc.), but most SUV owners I know have large families so there is nothing excessive or unnecessary about it.

Reply to
Professor1942

In what others ways is he living his life not to your satisfaction?

And how do you suggest remedying this? I suggest that the first thing you will have to do is shitcan what's left of the Constitution. Don't worry about that, Congress is almost done.

What then?

Cheers,

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I own a 2003 Corolla and it's an excellent commuter car. Terrible family car though (which is why we also have something bigger).

Reply to
Professor1942

[liberals'; feigned]

Personally, I believe much of the discourse around SUV use has little to do with GHG emissions.

To begin with, I'm not sure that SUVs on the whole actually emit greater quantities of GHGs than other vehicles of simlar engine capacity and functionality. In Australia, friendlier tax treatment borne of a the desire of conservative governments to keep rural constituents happy has led to widespread use of these distinctive vehicles in urban settings, which use many think inapproriate.

People use them in urban settings for a variety of reasons, at least some of which seem specious. They are widely seen as safer (at least for occupants) though the higher centres of gravity of some models and their use by relatively inexperienced drivers has led to higher insurance premiums on some models. They've been associated with reversinbg injuries -- typically toddlers and small children being run over in suburban driveways. They also tend to obstruct through vision

-- trying to turn right when one is on your left or vice versa can be difficult.

Like most things, car purchase is often a lifestyle or identity statement. These vehicles are often marketed in ways that underline irresponsible or borderline taboo behaviour -- running over wildlife or cattle and tearing up the wilderness -- in one ad, someone tries to pull out a stump and inadvertently rips out a tree in Japan, neatly underlining popular perceptions -- too much power and too little responsibility. Accordingly the vehicles are seen as driven by people who are potentially irresponsible, road rage candidates or environmental vandals. And because the more expensive of the vehicles tend to be driven by upmarket buyers, the idea of these things being an extension of the rich man's castle onto the roads (his tank?) their appearance does provoke widespread animus. If you've ever tried to negotiate a busy shopping centre car park during the peak and seen how many large SUVs are parked illegally on the ends of aisles, you won't have to think too hard to work out what dozens fo frustrated drivers are saying as they squeeze past.

My own view is that people should avoid car use wherever practicable, and that adequate provision should be made to make that an easy choice to make in urban settings much of the time. One should choose cars that are modest, fuel efficient, relatively safe tfor all and serve your needs adequately and leave a small footprint. If that's an SUV- style vehicle, so be it.

Fran

Reply to
Fran

I am in the "walk everywhere I go unless I get a ride from someone" club currently and am trying to get a '95 Caravan so I can safely say that walking sux. In the summer it isn't so bad and can even be fun sometimes except for trying to get $50 worth of groceries home from Aldi in a double stroller. Right now I hate it because we (SE Iowa) just got another 6" of snow and I had to walk in the street to the grocery store because most sidewalks including mine aren't cleaned off. I felt like I had walked twice as far after the trip as I really did because my feet slid backwards a little with every step. Yes all cars are a luxury but they are one luxury that is starting to look mighty fine to me right now d:). BTW as I typed this a POS H2 went by.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

The number of stupid and unnecessary vehicles is pretty large. Is anything stupider and more unnecessary than a LS460h or a Rolls Royce? Or how about 200 mph motorcycles? Could anything be stupider? For a majority of people anything larger / more powerful than a Corolla is unnecessary most of the time. Trying to draw a line between reasonable and unreasonable vehicles is a pretty hard thing to do. If your goal is to tell me what I should buy, then I think you should move to another country.

I see some claims, I don't see any data or supporting evidence.

During rush hour, not many including myself.

I'm unclear on the validity of extrapolating my limited observations to everywhere, everybody and everwhen. My rush hour observations are denied by my driving the rest of time anyway.

It lacked any meaningful content, at least IMHO.

How many families in the US?

You mean you don't drive a corolla? :-)

By that metric, so would a cooper mini (which I expect would be faster).

OK.

As you say, the smaller SUVs won't, but I've never shopped for one or looked closely.

So it's just a utilitarian argument (the value of which is not settled)?

I responded to most of it.

You mean when I said "Odd, I was under the distinct impression that you already had"? That statement was properly qualified, if you did not read it closely.

Hold on one minute, who's picking on SUV owners here? :-)

Cheers,

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Son of a gun, I never even thought that he might be having French food too. That greedy bastard. ;)

Reply to
Siskuwihane

Well, every "fine dining" experience I've had recently has involved a trip to Wendy's afterwards, which causes more global warming.

Reply to
Professor1942

Ahh - good catch.

[similar]

[inappropriate]

British/Aussie spelling of 'centers' - OK

[reversing]

British/Aussie spelling of 'behavior' - OK

[of]

[for]

All in fun. I could say I was too lazy to look up 'feigned', but in reality I was too ignorant to realize I didn't know its proper spelling. I ain't no ignorant sombitch.

Bill Putney

Is property ownership based on need?

Reply to
Peter Franks

Not a fan of Shakepseare?

||| Blow, Blow, thou winter wind! Thou art not so unkind As man's ingratitude Thy tooth is not so keen Because thou art not seen. Although thy breath be rude. Heigh ho! sing, heigh ho! unto the green holly; Most friendship is feigning most loving mere folly. Then, heigh ho, the holly! This life is most jolly. |||

=46rom *As You Like It*, IIRC

Fran

Reply to
Fran