Use of ethanol in Chrysler products

With the increase in gasoline prices, there is renewed interest in ethanol. If I remember correctly, Chrysler and most other manufacturers warn against the use of gasoline containing ethanol.

Is it safe to use gasoline with ethanol or not?

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

From my days designing fuel pump products (4 to 13 years ago), the practical limit in systems of the day (at that time anyway) was 15%. Fuel system components had to be tested in several fuel formulations, and I beleive one of those was an ethanol blend (somewhere in the range of 10 to 15%). More than that is more than various materials designed into the fuel systems can handle. A system designed to handle higher percentages of ethanol would require special materials and treatments.

One area that I was directly involved in was in capacitors that "lived" in the fuel in the fuel pump. Ethanol molecules are so small that nothing short of seamless metal encasing - not overmolding, no coating - could keep the alcohol out of the capacitor over the expected life of a vehicle. In addition, the aluminum vapor deposited on the capacitor film would be dissolved away when exposed to the alcohol. No metal on the film, no more capacitor, no more pump motor EMI suppression. That's just one of many components that would be impacted (not to mention the many plastic and rubber components in a typical fuel system).

Bill Putney

Is it safe to use gasoline with ethanol or not?

-Kirk Matheson

Some manufactures do not recommend ethanol blended gasoline's due to alcohol's corrosive properties eat away rubber gasket not designed for alcohol service. Chrysler does have some vehicle models that can handle the E85 fuel blend.

See this link for which vehicles:

Here is another link:
Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

FYI, I have a 2000 T&C with the E85 engine (3.8 is non-E85). I have used this E85 on various occasion and it has not cause any problems as of yet, nor do I expect it to. I have 80 K and no problems. What my concern is that E85, even thou a higher octane, doesn't provide the power nor the mileage of gas. With gas, I get approx. 21 on highway and 18.5 with E85. E85 is about 10 cents cheaper, so bottom line, gas is a better deal. Also it would seem strange that when gas goes up 20-30 a gallon, E85 is still about 10 cents cheaper. I would think E85 (being 15 % gas) would only be 15 % of the cost increase, making the E85 a better deal as gas cost go up. Just my 2 cents worth........

Reply to
Norvin

Up to 10% ethanol (maybe up to 15% in very recent models) in gasoline is approved by most makers.

It, uh, doesn't save you money -- you realize that, right? Ethanol contains substantially less energy per unit volume than gasoline. Adding ethanol to gasoline lowers the energy content of a gallon (or litre) of the resultant mix. You must, therefore, burn more of it to go the same distance.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Not strange at all. Ethanol is *VERY* heavily subsidized by means of very generous fuel tax exemptions, production tax credits and so forth. Archer-Daniels-Midland, the company that makes virtually all of North America's fuel ethanol, has bought many politicians in both parties to make sure of that! Without these Federal subsidies, ethanol as a motor fuel or motor fuel additive would be an even bigger joke than it is *with* the subsidies.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@alumni.engin.umich.edu:

now you know that letting a company keep there own money is not a subsidsity. the over taxing of the gas is a penilty. don`t make incorect claims. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Your right about taxing being a penalty. But if 99% of the companies pay tax, then the ones that are not paying taxes have gained a favour. It could be called a subsidy, it's all the same.

Reply to
Steve

What is the situation in Brazil? Is the alcohol content not much higher than 15%. Do they use methanol?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Newer cars are designed to use a blend of gasoline with up to 10% ethanol. I would avoid methanol at all costs, especially in cold weather since its use can lead to phase separation of the water in the gas resulting in an expensive repair to purge the fuel system and tank. Older cars should avoid both blends if possible, especially methanol. That includes "dry gas".

Richard.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

It's been 4 years, but my recollection is that the Delphi and Ford engineers that I worked with talked about the gasoline used in South American countries in general as being absolutely the worst, and impossible to design for. They use high alcohol content, and there's a lot of sulfur in it - awful environment for fuel components.

Bill Putney (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet > What is the situation in Brazil? Is the alcohol content not much higher

Reply to
Bill Putney

Reply to
mic canic

And oil ISN'T subsidized??? What about the Gulf War and the Iraq War? I'd say that oil companies have benefited very HEAVILY from this subsidy paid for with billions of dollars and human lives. So, if I go out and buy a ton of straw for $60 and make 75 gallons of ethanol from it, while using $5 of wood to distill it, and burn the fuel in a high compression engine that is optimized to run ethanol at nearly the same efficiency as gasoline, then is it still a big joke?

Mgrant

Reply to
Mgrant

Excellent point, ethanol is superior to gasoline in almost every way. Many believe prohibition was a way to suppress it's use in automobiles in the twenty's as gasoline had not yet established it's dominance.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Except, y'know, for minor things like energy content per volume unit.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

True, but with an engine properly set up (i.e. high compression) the same fuel mileage as gasoline can be obtained. And the higher compression will produce more power and emit only carbon dioxide and water. Even if the economy was worse (which it isn't), it is possible to construct a still and produce ethanol for next to nothing. Also, many new cars are equipped to run on e85 which is 85% ethanol, all other can be converted by the simple installation of a computer chip. The electronic fuel injection does the rest. Here is a good link if you are interested.

Rick Blaine

So why is it that none of these non-polluting vehicles are certified for use in California? And why can't you (apparently) buy E85 here?

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

Not necessarily - As an example, Cox Communications (cable TV provider among other things) is whining loudly and advertising on TV to "level the playing field" with satellite TV because they are taxed and satellite TV isn't.

But the reason they are taxed is to help pay for the fact that they have to tear up shit to lay cable while that is unnecessary for satellite TV.

Reply to
L Sternn

...and an engine thus optimized could give even better performance and economy on gasoline. That's a vicious cycle.

Er...no. High compression + alcohol = Oxides of Nitrogen go through the roof. Aldehyde emissions soar.

...with greatly reduced fuel economy and performance, yes.

No matter how much handwaving you do, you cannot gloze over the fact that ethanol contains substantially less energy than gasoline.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern