What's the deal with the Challenger ?

If the car is sold out the factory merely raises prices until they either make a profit, or they stop selling out. Even the thickest manager can understand that one.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I saw where they released pricing for the Challenger. Base 3.5L V-6 is basically $22k, R/T Hemi V-8 is $29K, SRT8 is $39K.

From the equipment breakdowns of each model in the article in Mopar Action, there's quite a bit of difference in the different engine options in the way of chassis equipment (i.e., brakes, wheels, tires, chassis calibrations). It would be neat if they'd let the V-6 have an upgraded chassis setup as an option, I think, especially as some might want that rather than having to purchase the R/T to get it . . . or wait for the aftermarket to get them out. Or maybe build a R/T without having to get lots of options (as standard equipment) that you might not really want. If they want to get back to basics, why not buy the chassis and engine equipment and then add comfort/convenience/sound system options as in the old days?

I concur with the news release that the R/T will probably be the most popular one.

Enjoy!

C-BODY

Reply to
C-BODY

Playing devil's advocate- its not very difficult to sell out a run of only 5000 cars :-p

History says that even in the tightest gas crunch, there will be a niche for performance cars. The Corvette didn't die in the 70s.

Besides, the economy numbers really don't suck that much, given what the car is capable of. And the forthcoming v6 version should be rather impressive in that regard.

Reply to
Steve

No, its not. Its not a Jeep at all. Its a FWD station wagon badged as a Jeep. I had one as a rental, and the thing was APPALLING. I was never so glad to get back home and get in my stone-age solid-axle primitive unrefined knuckle-dragging (and whatever other insults the automotive press used to throw at it) Cherokee in my life.

They're the same (crappy) platform, so of course they do. More stupid management of the Jeep brand.

Reply to
Steve

looks like Jay Leno got his........#4 off the line

rob

The Compass uses the Caliber body mostly. We looked at both before buying a 2007 Caliber, like the front end better.

Reply to
Count Floyd

Yes it was built at that plant in '94. That Chrysler plant was picked up from American Motors.

Reply to
who