Electric ZX, anyone...?

Has anyone considered converting a '93 Citroen ZX to pure electric power? Seems to be a good basis as the bodywork is rust-free and some of the panels are plastic. I like the car but the engine has had it at 166K miles. First hidden problem I can think of is that it will need electric PAS (200gbp minimum to convert a used electric unit for standalone use).

Does anyone have any experience or (clean) comments?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Fantastic project. There is a lot of info on the web if you search, try this one

which has a load of links.Also do a search for Lynch electric motors, which are very powerful, andefficient, disc armature DC motors. Here is a start.http://www.lemcoltd.com/products.htmThere is also a newsgroup, alt.binaries.electric-veh and, though I can'tfind it at the mement, there is an organisation of amateur electric carbuilders with a website. Good luck, Let us know how you get on. Brian.

Reply to
Brian

This might be another starting point

exactly what I was looking for, there was an electric vehicle day ayBrooklands Museum a couple of years ago, and I was looking for theorganisation who ran it. There were several converted cars there.

Reply to
Brian

Found it, the Battery Vehicle Society

Brian

Bill ( snipped-for-privacy@goldie-family.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

"I wouldn't start from here"...

First off, just lob the rack from a non-PAS ZX in. Personally, I prefer ZXs without PAS - sure, they're heavy to park, but they're FAR nicer once you're on the go. If you insist on electric PAS - take the setup from a Saxo, p'raps?

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks Adrian - good advice. BTW, I'm not currently gurgling happily, I'm gurgling unhappily every time I take a breath due to a chest infection! Bummer.....

Reply to
Bill