my brakes are delayed

Does any-one know what might be wrong? I have recently bought a Xantia 1.9 TD. I love it. The only problem is, when i press the brake pedal, the brakes have a second or two delay before they kick in. Someone mentioned something about loss of pressure in the hydraulics. Can any-one tell me how to fix it?? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
James Knox via CarKB.com

Sounds like an airlock somewhere - they need bleeding.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Agreed.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks Ian, but the system is self bleeding. there are NO bleed nipples on the calipers at all.

Reply to
James Knox via CarKB.com

Soz Adrian, the system is self bleeding. i.e. NO bleed nipples on the calipers at all. thanks all the same.

Reply to
James Knox via CarKB.com

James Knox via CarKB.com ( snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You're wrong. There are bleed nipples on the calipers, and the *brake* circuit is not self-bleeding.

The *suspension* and *steering* circuits are self-bleeding, the brakes are not.

For the brakes to be self-bleeding, you'd need to have return piping from the calipers.

Reply to
Adrian

as adrian says. they are not self bleeding.

the alternator belt is self adjusting. but .......ITS NOT...... if you get me.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech

Hi

It might be an idea to check this link out on Xantia brakes.

Basicly theres a spring damper unit between the brake pedal & the hydraulic valve, Its not like a normal basic servo assisted setup on a Xantia, You might have a faulty damper unit.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com

A delay between pushing the pedal and the brake response is the classic symptom of air in the brake lines on a hydropneumatic Cit. I haven't driven Xantias much, but I've had exactly that on my GSAs and SM.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed. All the springythingy between pedal and doseur does is to put a bit of movement in the pedal so it "feels" like a normal brake pedal for those too stupid to cope with the difference.

Reply to
Adrian