What could possibly be wrong??

I have a 01' GMC Yukon XL and the "low coolant" light comes on every week. I put coolant in this vehicle at least once a week. Initially I thought I had a leak but there are no leak spots in my garage. It's not a computer problem because I really do have to refill the coolant reservior every week. What could possibly be wrong?

Reply to
Ms. Angela

Hate to tell you this, but coolant loss without a leak is generally a sign of a blown head gasket. If it's something else, it's probably something worse. Check your oil and transmission fluid; if they look milky DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR. If they look OK, it's OK to drive, but definitely get it checked out ASAP.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Intake manifold gasket leaking seems to be an inherent problem in the GM engines.....see if there is water in your oil, or a brown (chocolate) sludge on your oil fill cap or in your reservoir)

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

There is a leak. You, or someone else, will have to find it: head gasket intake gasket hose heater core radiator water pump and anywhere else the coolant goes.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

You're right. I guess I didn't look hard enough the first time. I looked this morning and it is beading up under the car. I'm going to take it to the GM dealer tomorrow. I've been reading all the talk about Dex-Cool and its problems and I really hope it's not the Dex-cool causing corrosion because that is what I've been using.

Thanks aga>> I have a 01' GMC Yukon XL and the "low coolant" light comes on every week.

Reply to
Ms. Angela via CarKB.com

"Ms. Angela via CarKB.com" wrote

It will have nothing to do with the Dexcool. I'd be very surprised if they didn't find that the water pump gaskets are leaking. This is usually the cause of the coolant leaks on the new gen small block engines. Every now and then, we see the head gaskets leaking. Intake gasket leaks on these engines are non-existant, as they don't use a "wet" manifold design anymore.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I'm sure you probably won't see it quite the same way, but this is actually good news. It means that it's not dumping the coolant into your oil and/or transmission, either one of which would be a seriously Bad Thing. As it is you just have to repair what's leaking and keep on truckin'.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N