Wierd Activa Suspension Behaviour...

I have had my Xantia Active for just over a year and I have noticed some wierd behaviour from the suspension. I was wondering if any of the clever techies out there could give me a hint as to whether the following is normal or if not whether it is serious.

The car will, when I park it will quite often sit with a slight list - it doesn't seem to care which side, sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right.

Sometimes, when I first start it, it can take a few minutes to level - it sits with a definite list to the right (RHD drive car and "yes" - I am not very light, so no jokes there please.

I've put 24,000 or so miles on it in that year and I am very happy with it. The only major problem I have had in that time was the rear suspension sensor failing which meant a 200GBP bill for a new one. The only other thing is that it drinks like a fish and eats brakes - this could be down to my heavy right foot tho'... ;)

Any light that anyone could shed on the above would be gratefully received.

Yours,

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Robson

Hehehe - I suspect lizard might be your saviour! check through the "Top Gear and the Classic XM" thread for a couple of suggestions!

CAS

Reply to
CAS

From what I have learnt about Activa suspension since buying a bit of a duff one that could be a worn height corrector or some small rubber bushes in the suspension (numbered 16 in this diagram

) that have arod go through them these can become oval shaped over time and they costabout 2.50 for both of them. It could also be the bit labelled 11 in thatdiagram as i think this is what Duxford service station were referring tooearlier when they phoned me about my Activa and its bad behaviour :) If itis that bit then it could be badly lubricated worn etc. etc.

Again, that could be the height corrector or could be the bit numbered 11 in the diagram. One other possibility is that your spheres are dead which won't help.

Oh, btw most of the above is guesses based on my experience with my Activa so far, I haven't actually taken one to bits (yet) :)

Reply to
lizard

It's a Citroen. It's _always_ the spheres !

They're cheap, and they fail regularly. It's one of the few components where "Lets you change them and see what happens" really does make sense.

Andy Dingley

I wouldn't describe changing all the spheres as "cheap" on an Activa....

200 quids worth of spheres straight away? I had Pleiades check all of them properly which resulted in 9 of them being dead or nearly dead, so I saved a little bit of money on not having one of those spheres replaced. Then they gave me a trade in for the spheres that could be reconditioned so saved a bit more. So yeah, you could replace all of the spheres but then when you have to replace 2 height correctors some little rubber bushes and have other bits taken off and fiddled with you could be looking at a bill of over a grand quite quickly.... at least that is around where the bill for getting my "new" Activa working is right now, fortunately I haven't paid for a penny of it myself :) but when you look at how much you can buy an Activa for right now they also seem to cost under a grand....
Reply to
lizard

Reply to
mueller