URGENT: XM Alternators

My alternator is on the way out - I'm getting a faint glow from the battery light with dipped beam lights, radio, interior fan, rear screen heater and brake lights all on.

I reckon I've got less than a week to get it fixed! I've got a rebuild kit on the way but I won't get that for a couple of days yet.

My local scrappy has one on the shelf from a 2-litre and according to his book of recon parts (as he supplies these too) they are interchangeable throughout the range and should fit my series on V6 12v.

Can anyone confirm or deny this, please?

Cheers

CAS

Reply to
CAS

OK, so all petrol alternators are the same (except the V6 should have a 120A rather than the 70A or 80A ones on everything else)! And removal and fitting isn't too hard.

The trouble is that it wasn't the alternator...

With the car running and no electrical items on I'm getting a nice healthy

14.5V and with full beam, rear screen, interior lights, hazards, wipers, interior fan on full speed etc. it only drops to 14.0V - 13.8V which I thought perfectly reasonable... correct me if I'm wrong.

So I suspected the battery, and replaced that with a nearly new one from the BX GTi and found exactly the same behaviour, same voltages, same point when the light starts to glow...

Any thoughts?

Cheers

CAS

Reply to