Xantia ABS query

Evening All ...

What is the usual reason for the ABS light coming on in a 99 2.0hdi Xant estate? I can confirm that the ABS actually has packed up following road testing in the wet earlier this evening.

What's the usual culprit befoer I start skinning knuckles un-necessarily or inappropriately?!

thanks in advance

Steve

Reply to
drd

Normal problem is a duff wheel sensor. These can be checked either by splitting the sensor wire and measuring wit an ohm meter, or much easier to dissconect the ABS ECU plug and check it in the terminals.

Should read 1080 ohms at each sensor.

I cannot remember the terminal numbers to check, but I will look it up over the weekend and post it.

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

many thanks

... though now I'm also wondering if the occaisional grinding noises from the front brakes over the last few months have had anything to do with it ... I'd put it down to worn discs but ...?

drd

Are the discs worn? ABS problems CAN also be just the wrong gap between the sensor and hub. When the warning light comes on for any reason, the ABS system is switched off.

Reply to
Brian

Hi.

To check from the ECU harness.

Switch off ignition Remove ABS ECU wiring plug from the ECU Using an ohm meter check the terminals on the connector, not the ECU

Terminals 1 and 6 = Right Front Terminals 15 and 30 = Left Front Terminals 29 and 31 = Right Rear Terminals 19 and 28 = Left Rear

Just in case !! The left and right is refered to as from the driving position, ie from the rear of the car, not as you will be standing and checking.

Also, the thickness of the discs and pads will make no diference at all to the ABS as the sensor is fixed into the hub and the pick up ring is on the drive-shaft. The gap (air gap) is set on the Xantia and cannot be moved, so I doubt if that will be your trouble.

When fitting a new sensor, the ABS light may not go out as soon as started. Citroen will tell you that it needs to be fitted by them and then reset on the computor! This aint true, all you have to do is put the wheel on and drive, the thing will reset as soon as you reach approx 15 mph

Hope this helps in some way, let us know how you get on.

Regards Slim.

Reply to
Slim

thanks Slim - I'll check it out asap.