Anyone built / bought a "thing" to roll a car shell over?

I've seen a couple of websites where people working on shells have fitted it to a frame (or vice versa) and are able to roll the shell up onto one side to get access to the underside to underseal it easily. Anyone know who makes them and if they're extortionately expensive?

Reply to
Doki

Usually called a chassis tilter.

To the latter question, yes! There are a few manufacturers producing different styles.

Have a look at

and
I have one that I was given which was specially fabricated for Austin A60 vehicles; I have yet to adapt it to other models, but it is essentially similar to the Frost one but with a simple triangular stand at each end. It's disadvantage is that it requires very sound chassis rails to attach to at each end of the car, which is why it never got used on my A60!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

A quick way to bend a weak shell....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Weld up your own. It's not too hard to do.

Reply to
Conor

Hang on Conor, think about it... Without knowing the OP's welding skills, and considering all the crap welding you must have seen over the years, it is really safe to advise the average joe to weld something to support the weight of a car?

_I_ would be perfectly confident in the strength of _my own_ welding for this purpose. But it's not something I would tell someone else to do unless they are equally confident in the quality of their welding.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

over the

something to

They would also need to know how to mount the shell onto the frame, even more important if the shell still has the mechanical parts, just hanging the shell by it's bumper iron mounts might not cut the mustard...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Thread on making one "Hoop rolling" in uk.d-i-y at the moment.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Oooh. Vicious expensive. I think I might take my chances crawling around on my back.

Reply to
Doki

Might be cheaper to invest in a professional high-lift jack and stands.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

If I need it that high, there's always the forklift ;).

Reply to
Doki