Cars with right-hand gearchange

Further to the recent discussion on the Riley Pathfinder and its right-hand gearchange, I happened on an a copy of Graham Robson's book "The Cars of BMC" today, and it turns out that my memory was faulty. Not only did the Pathfinder's successor, the Two-point-Six, retain the right-hand gearchange location, but the Wolseley 6/90, of which of course the Two-point-Six was a badge-engineered version, had switched, on introduction of the 6/90 Series 2 in 1956, from the column change of the Series 1 to a right-hand floor change. Both 6/90 and Two-point-Six continued with right-hand gearchanges until their demise in 1959.

Reply to
Leroy Curtis

Some further thoughts - wasn't there also a Morris Six, presumably the bargain basement end of the badge engineering? Did that also have a right hand change?

And, never having driven one, was the right hand change on these models ball mounted, or was it a "proper" change where the lever remained vertical, sliding backwards and forwards as in 1 to 2 and 3 to 4, but between 2 and 3 (and reverse) move laterally without leaning? OK, convoluted description, but you try describing a spiral staircase without using your hands....

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

The Morris Six was the 'poor relation' of the Wolseley 6/80, and they both had column changes. Pretty rare car, even in its day - outsold by the Wolseley by a factor of several.

It's a long time ago, but I think the Pathfinder had a normal ball type one - you'd have to go to Rolls to get the type that went between gates in a parallel fashion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , Dave Plowman writes

Yes, the Six had a column change, but the Morris Isis Series II (1956-8) shared the right-hand floor change with the Riley and Wolseley.

Reply to
Leroy Curtis

I think he means an Isis Dave....that would be contemporary with the Palmer biggies and pre farina stuff. Only ever seen one Isis in a breakers yard when I was a lad of 18...and IIRC it had 3 or 4 on the tree and was an estate... Was also a Pathfinder with the 4 round clocks and the right hand change in the same yard at Warsash... alas too far gone to save even then. Thought it must be an arse to get in and out of in a hurry...gearstick up your flared trouser leg no trouble....Heady days... Such rare rare cars all...Ive seen one possible Riley 2.6 and one pathfinder on ebay in a year of looking....both too far away and basket cases. Was a morris six...like the 6/80 recently though...didnt even know there was such a thing til I saw it... open bonnet and lo and behold an ohc six lump with an MO body behind it....weird!!! Jonners

Reply to
Jon Tilson

Yes - the earlier Isis was column change, though. Think the fashion for floor changes came back before the fashion for front bench seats disappeared. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Ah, different values then.... (said he, having popped his cherry in the back of a Standard Eight). Front bench seats were actually rather a good thing for courting purposes, although I do recall being a bit ambitious around Bentall's Corner in Kingston in a Jaguar Mk 10 and clinging on to the steering wheel while sliding out of the passenger door. Er - not courting at the time, just trying to get to work.

G MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie