How to value 20 year old car that has done less than 20000 miles?

Hi, we own a Mazda 323 1.3 which is now 20 years old but which has genuinely done less than 20000 miles. It has been owned in the family since new. For its age it is in good condition and starts and runs very well.

Can anyone help? How do we go about trying to value it? Does it have any enhanced value because of its extremely low mileage for its age?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Reply to
John

For what purpose is the valuation? If selling then it is whatever you can persuade someone to part with. If insurance then they will decide or advise you on getting an insurance value appraisal.

On the open market if it is in nice condition then you will have a job to get 300 - 500 quid for it (being realistic) Better to keep it in the family.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

See if there's a Mazda owners club etc. Someone there might pay 'extra' for a decent one - otherwise it's just any old banger. If it's still good, keep it. Unless you feel the need for something better. Which sort of shows its actual value. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

John ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.boltblue.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

This is all you need to say. It's a 1984 Mazda 323. It's worth next-to- nothing.

Your only hope is the Mazda Owner's Club or fleaBay

Reply to
Adrian

Not worth a fortune in today's market... my friend bought a similar car (silver 1989 Mazda 323, one owner, 22k miles) last year for £700, and that was one model newer...

Keep hold if it for a bit longer and you never know! I've always liked the Mazda 323's, good cars.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Thank you, mrcheerful, and indeed everyone who posted in this thread.

The valuation was needed for the purpose of selling it. A new car has been bought and unfortunately the Mazda has to go.

In view of the problem coming up with a value I have placed it for sale in an auction on eBay :-

Thanks again for your posting.

Reply to
John

Fuck me, that's clean and tidy for it's age.

Shame the start price is about 4 times what it's worth ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

In news:1gka0iu.4lqsj513nsfu1N% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, SteveH decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Bloody horrible wheeltrims though.

Reply to
Pete M

That looks clean! I hope you get a decent price; would give someone a few years cheap motoring I would hope. Probably go to an enthusast who will take it to shows!

Will

Reply to
Will Reeve

Will Reeve ( snipped-for-privacy@reeve.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A very, very thick skinned "enthusiast", hopefully. It's not exactly going to get a very, erm, appreciative audience, is it?

Reply to
Adrian

I don't know it's getting to that age you know! Many local 'in a field' type shows have old escorts and the like shown in a 'classics' section. If it was one of the mazdas with pop up headlights I would be tempted!

Will

Reply to
Will Reeve

Of course anything is only worth what a willing buyer is prepared to pay to a willing seller. Those who have been to see the car have seen a car in very good condition for its age. By the way, all the tyres are in good condition and that includes a totally unused spare tyre .... still complete with its sticker. And the unused car tax is alone worth about £40 ... which is close to your valuation.

Accordingly we we not surprised that bidding in now above the minimum bid level that I set, and still over 6 hours before the auction closes.

Reply to
John

There's some _very_ strange people out there.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So this is a 20 year old tyre? Thanks, but no thanks. That's bin fodder.

Be fair - it's only just over £200 with a couple of hours left. Take the tax out of it, and you've got a car that should be up for being run into the ground for a year for a ton and a half.

Those market stall wheel trims would be *straight* in the bin, though.

Reply to
Adrian

At the moment it's sitting at just under 200 quid if you ignore the tax. I've always thought *any* good nick car will fetch 250.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I know, I'm replying to one ! :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

LOL .... anyone who has been to see the car would confirm the unused tyre is clearly not 20 years old. In fact three new tyres bought last December ... two on the car and one is the spare.

Hm .... in terms of some people's opinions here .... some very strange people out there .... but bidding now reached £390 with 20 minutes to go. As said before, value is only what a willing buyer would pay to a willing seller. Those who think it is not worth much are clearly not in the willing category.

One of the people who saw the car doubted whether it originally came with wheel trims at all. I admit I have no idea where the previous owner, a relative, got those.

Reply to
John

*cough*shill bidding*cough*

Either that, or you've just snared 2 NPBs.

Reply to
SteveH

Many thanks to all those who contributed to this thread, particularly the person who suggested £300 to £500 as the value for the car. We really did not have a clue how the age might affect the value so decided to sell the car in an auction.

It closed at £431 !

Reply to
John