Re: W123 'Buyers Guide'

MrT was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

My huge pile of mags is just that - a huge pile, and in no particular order! > So, can anyone remember if any of the mags have done a buyers guide or > restoration feature on the Mercedes Benz W123 range in the last year or so. > Just so I know which magazine(s) I'm hunting for!

Not English ones, no. I've got one in German floating about for the limousines and estates if that's any help.

Reason being is I've a hankering for a 230/280CE coupe next year, unless a > miracle happens and I find myself able to afford a Porsche 911...

Hmm. Probably not. Off the top of my head, the main issues are:

- Early ones are trying to outrust Alfasuds. You can still find them with < 30,000 miles on in Germany, but they'll be so bad that they're uneconomical to repair.

- Later ones are pretty good bodywise, beware bad accident repairs tho'.

- Not much of a performance difference between the 230CE and 280CE, but the latter drinks harder than an Australian rubgy team.

- Coupe-specific bits are very, very expensive.

For me, it's got to be a /8 Coupe though.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

There was one in Mercedes Enthusiast a year or so ago... probably have it somewhere but my pile of mags is about as organised as yours so don't hold out for me to find it.

What d'you want to know - plenty of discussion here:

Sean

No, but car mechanics did some time ago.. Mid 90's I think..

Reply to
jb

I know the one - I can summarise it as follows:

Buy a 230 for best all round performance/economy compromise. Try to get a car with history and watch for rust.

Reply to
Sean

Rust is THE problem. The 280 engine is gorgeous. Will average 21 mpg from personal experience. The manual ones are actually nice to drive. Very mechanical feel to the gearbox. The auto is lovely 4 speed job. Should be smooth under gentle driving. No slip. Hard shifts when accelerating hard: first to second at 30mph will send the rear wheels spinning. For rust check the rear chassis legs, under all carpets and front wheel arches. For 2K you should get a clean car with good history. Low mileage is not always a good thing - these cars like to be driven.

Adam

Reply to
Adam B

£2K for a nice 280CE? Where do I sign up. I could sell my Sera for that.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

As long as the front springs are okay, Richard?

Reply to
Phil Howard

For a 280CE, I'd do it all again. Especially if it was black, red or grey.

And I just noticed. My Sera probably has a broken spring... would explain the funny handling ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick