sealing cork float against gasoline - how to...

Got a pair of fuel-level senders and the cork floats have lost some of whatever it was that was painted on them. These will be in tanks with automotive gasoline. What should I use to seal them?

Reply to
jt

Somebody recommended Ambroid in a mailgroup recently. I can't attest to it for myself, having long ago given up on cork and gone to a brass float.

Reply to
Larry Smith

Go to a local hobby store and get 'hot fuel proof clear dope"

Jerry in NC

Reply to
Jerry

I believe that the original treatment was shellac.

Reply to
Orval Fairbairn

Orval equivocated:

That was in them old glory days when gasoline did not contain volatile additives.

Reply to
Larry Smith

I've had good luck with polyester fiberglass resin. This is on floats used with a wire sticking up to see fuel level. I have dipped them in resin and then shook off the excess. They don't seem to float any lower and the resin resists auto fuel.

Cheers:

Paul NC2273H

Reply to
Paul

I don't know if there is enough alcohol in your auto gas, but alcohol is a solvent for shellac.

Ed Sullivan

Reply to
Ed Sullivan

Ed,

I have used "Indian Head" gasket shellac with good results in the past. Whatever sealant is used, it should be tested prior to installation on the airplane. Buy a bottle of decent wine and drink it. When the cork is dry (yes, you must buy a wine with a real cork in the bottle) coat it with the sealant to be considered and submerge it, after curing, in the fuel to be used and watch it for a week or more before deciding.

O-ring

Reply to
O-ring Seals

Especially alcohol, from what I read in a recent thread in this gorup.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dohm

snip ...

Use two component epoxy paint (usually for coating the inside of ..... the tank) can be had at your web/local restore shop.

Eugenio

Reply to
Eugenio Grapa