Supermarket fuel

This is not specifically a classic car issue, although we all want to preserve our ancient engines as long as possible. Most Saturdays I read Honest John's column in the Telegraph, and he's always banging on about how supermarket petrol doesn't have any detergents in in it, causing all sorts of problems, whereas Shell and Texaco fuels are the ones of choice. He says it applies to diesel as well - these brands are high lubricity, Tesco etc is not. Last week I asked him what independent tests show the superiority these brands. Guess what? He couldn't cite any, but said it was his experience and that of his readers.

Now if this is a real effect why are these 2 companies not making as much fuss about it as Honest John does? If they are, and I have missed it, they are not doing a very good promotional job. My own experience doesn't support the claim. Our family cars are a Renault Espace and a Citroen ZX TD, on 130k and 140k miles respectively, and both have been run on supermarket fuel almost all their lives. During brief periods on other brands there was no detectable difference, and there have been no problems in any way attributable to fuel quality. The Espace had its head off 2 years ago to replace a gasket and it wasn't particularly coked up. The ZX hasn't been touched apart from cambelt changes.

As I'm just building my Sprite engine I'm wondering if there's anything in this story and whether I should pay extra for the fuel I put in it.

Reply to
Les Rose

In article , Les Rose writes

When this issue was first raised, about ten years back, it was undoubtedly true. The supermarkets reacted almost immediately, declaring they had now added detergents in their fuels.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if supermarket fuel was not the best. I would be surprised if it made a significant difference to most cars. All of mine get filled up wherever is cheap and convenient - usually Tesco, but not always. I haven't noticed any difference, though the previous owner of my Vitesse said it didn't like Tesco petrol. Of course, yesterday it was running absolutely fine until I stopped for petrol at a BP station. Then it started playing up. Make what you like of that.

Reply to
Robert Pearce

This has been discussed before. Briefly: I had a Golf GTi 1600 which

*only* pinked on Tesco petrol. OTH, other cars I owned had no problems. Personally, with a car on which I'd spent time and money I'd play it safe or else experiment very cautiously to make sure there were no problems. Dave
Reply to
Dave

Exactly. This sounds like some kind of rumour and some hack trying to make a name for himself as the motorist's champion. I have done 150k with a 1.8 Carlton and 100k with 1.9 Peugeot 405 turbo diesel on supermarket fuel and no ill effects. But prices are usually fairly keen near the supermarkets anyway so economy is no big deal as such; peace of mind wouldn't cost you a fortune if you wanted to stick to BP/Shell etc. I would think that if there were any substance in such claims, rivals and consumer groups would be only too quick to give it maximum negative publicity, and no supermarket chain would risk that.

Pete W

Reply to
Pete W.

Unless you've lowered the compression, it will run best on 97/8 octane. Do supermarkets sell this? My local one doesn't. But I've seen 'main' brand tankers in there so I assumed the petrol they sell these days is the same.

Some years ago BMW had engine problems which was down to high sulphur petrol refined abroad and imported which only certain supermarkets sold. But so many 'branded' filling stations have closed round here due, I assume, to supermarket sales that they'll get the deal they want from the big UK refineries.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hi Rob, Something my wife pointed out to me when we first met (6 years ago) was that she got consistently lower mpg figures on supermarket petrol. I made some observations of my own and it did seem to be true, but I can't pretend I did anything too scientific to measure xconsumption.

I always recommend that Triumph owners avoid BP fuel. Low power, pinking under the slightest load, it's been nothing but trouble in our Mk1 Triumph

2000, 1961 Herald 1200 Coupe and our old Dolomite 1500. Shell is favourite at the moment (especially Optimax in the 2000) but Esso and Murco are also used occasionally without problems, Cheers, Bill.

-- Rarebits4classics .......just what you've been looking for

PO Box 1232 Calne Wiltshire SN11 8WA United Kingdom

William Davies

"Les Rose" wrote

I know the fuel purchasing guy at a major UK supermarket chain through work and according to him it's true, of his brand.

Whether it will affect individual cars appreciably enough to be *noticeable* is another matter. I suspect mostly not.

The reason the 2 companies you mentioned aren't making a fuss is probably because they supply the supermarkets and would lose that supply position if they publicly announced that they supply them with an inferior quality. It might be true but Asda (or whoever) would be pretty unhappy.

Reply to
The Blue Max

My SDI EFI pinks on any 95 octane no matter what brand. BP used to be the only one round here with 97, and it doesn't pink on that. Optimax is fine too. As is the new BP stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

One of my friends ( not called Sven) drives a Volvo 850 (or is it a V70?) petrol engined. He recently had to put in Optimax instead of Safeway stuff. He says he has a 10% reduction in fuel consumption and he is sure it's running better. He's now using this all the time.

Maybe we should all use "proper" fuel occasionally? I think my 7 prefers it but can't be proved really. Dunno about BP as it's not available in these parts ( unless Safeway use it?)

Honest John does have useful things to say though. Like, - don't buy Renaults ( froggie muck) or Freelanders / Discos. He is obsessed with ugly Toyotas and Kias though!

ken

1981 TR7 DHC 2003 R75 CDTi Auto
Reply to
Ken Forrest

My 2000 (a MKII with Strombergs) gets either Sainsbury's or Esso, depending on what is nearest/cheapest when I fill up. I haven't noticed any difference between them.

But my PI only gets Optimax unless I am desperate and can't find a Shell station. It runs noticeably worse on anything else.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Jim - I support this view 100% based on recent drives in my PI. I've dialled in a wee bit more advance to make use of the Optimax claimed higher than

98.5 ron - sure sounds sweet, big improvement. I used a tank load to travel to Scotland recently, had a great drive. Then had to fill up using BP superunleaded - noticeable difference, didn't pull nearly as well.

I've even started using it in my 92 VW Scirocco (which claims to need 98 ron anyhow) - same story. Tweaked the advance again, crisper response - cleaner idling note too.

Chuffed, well worth the extra few pence per litre.

-- Ken Davidson

Reply to
DocDelete

I can get proper fuel locally (in Marlow) but it's about £1 a litre and the extra mpg isn't worth that much. The extra tax is just stupid because it encourages people who don't have to use unleaded to use a less efficient fuel and thus generate more CO2.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Twice I have had real trouble with Sainsbury's fuel causing pinking and rough running -- never had any trouble with fuel bought from Safeway.

Real worry is the rate at which petrol stations are closing -- the housing boom hasn't helped as land prices soar selling for redevelopment becomes more tempting. In my area lack of petrol,station outside the supermarket chains is a very real problem, even very busy stations are closing leaving whole tracks of greater Glasgow without a petrol station.

Reply to
AWM

The Asda U/L pumps in Derby clearly state 'contains detergent additive'. They still have LRP (which also contains detergent) and no Premium U/L.

Peter Hill

"William Davies" realised it was Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:51:51 -0000 and decided it was time to write:

Now there's an interesting conversation opener...

Reply to
Yippee