0-60 speeds

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a dumb question but... When they test those 0-60 speeds on a standard transmission is there a set protocol for at what rpm you shift and how many gears are used?

Reply to
Tilbalang

Most times it is best to shift just prior to when peak torque is reached, that will vary by the engine being tested. If you can't reach it very early in 2nd, sometimes 1st, you don't want to know the time or the RPM. ;-)

Reply to
Dad

Yes... but are the TESTS standardized in some way - is the question?

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

Reply to
Bob I

It seems to me it would be a bit hard to standardize a shift point based on RPM. If you are running a test for an 0-60 speed with a car that develops 9,000 RPM redline and then try the same with one that redlines at 6,500 you have a false comparison. The shift point has to be based on peak torque/HP to get even a basic comparison.

So yes, there is a protocol for what rpm you shift and how many gears are used based on where the engine reaches it best torque/HP. Then that is recorded as the 0-60 time for a standard (?) for that car.

Standardization may also rule out using reverse, steep inclines both positive and negative, and during snow storms or floods.

Reply to
Dad

I've always thought they tried the run numerous times using several techniques and the fastest time is what made it in the article.

AJM '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

Just before the rev limiter gets you. If you stay in 1st or 2nd too long the rev limiter will cut in hose your time

Reply to
aRKay