C5 How to Change DRL Lamp

Anyone have a URL on the procedure to replace the right front DRL and turn signal lamp in a C5. The owner's manual says NOTHING about replacing the front lamps.

arkay (at) qsl.net

Reply to
aRKay

Open the hood, remove the hood bumper stud, light can be reached from that opening. Remember how it was set, your hood will look better when you close it. The socket is released by pulling a tab out like on some plastic bottle caps and rotating counter clockwise. Five minute job. There are 2 other ways, one is to remove the headlight cover, the other is to remove the panel under the light. Both are much slower than going in from the top. The owners manual is just that, not a service and repair manual which is 5 inches thick. Most owners don't read the owners manual let alone the service manual. I have a '98 manual that I'd sell if you want some good reading.

Reply to
Dad

Thanks...... I pulled he headlight cover and could get my hand in but could not get it to release. May have to pull the parking light fuze to cut the power. You can cut the power to the head lamps and get them to stay up but the parking light remains hot. I may have screwed up per you note. I was trying to push the tabs rather than pulling them. Very hard to get leverage while messing around down there. HiHi

Reply to
aRKay

Hummm, maybe that's one of the reason I don't go in that way, plus the opportunity to screw up the paint and location of the headlight cover. A little masking tape on the edges may be in order unless everything goes right for you.

Reply to
Dad

I am in deep doo-doo now. Followed your tip to remove the hood bumper and managed to get the old broken lamp out. I then put in a new lamp but did not push in very hard and it came loose and is now in the light fixture. I cannot even feel it but know its in there.

Wonder if I should just leave it there and put in another lamp or should pull the fixture. That looks like a major job to get the the bolts.

Any suggestions on how to retrieve the lamp?

Reply to
aRKay

Gum on a stick, I use windshield sealer to stick it fast. That entire assembly is held in with a spring. You might be ahead to put in another lamp as you said. It is a no brainer if you are on a lift to take the lower panel off and unclip the entire light assembly.

Good luck

Reply to
Dad

There are 5 6MM (don't know the hex size for this thread) screws, two in the wheel well and 3 on the bottom of the bumper cover. If you get those off you can drive a truck in there to work. Best if on a lift but can be done on a ramp. Try a magnet on that bulb, there may be some steel in the base.

Reply to
Dad

I got tired of messing with it and just installed another lamp and will let the dropped one live in the bottom of the housing. Some things are just too hard. Maybe some day when I get bored I will pull the lens to save the $2.50 lamp. HiHi

Thanks for the help. All turn signals are now working perfect again.

aRKay

Reply to
aRKay