Interesting problem to try...

Hello everyone,

Here is an interesting thing to try. I have a 2007 Corvette with OnStar and Hands-Free Cell Phone using Verizon Family Plan.

Try this... Dial 511 (for Road Information in most States) Dial 911 for Emergency

From what I have tried it CAN NOT be done.

According to OnStar you can use the RED OnStar Button for Emergencies and the NORMAL BLUE OnStar for Road Information.

I am still waiting for an answer from Verizon on this problem. Anyone else tried this before and figured out the correct answer?

Thanks ahead of time,

Ron

Reply to
Wes

I'm not on family plan. I used 911 last year to report an accident on I-5 in San Diego--call went directly to CHP dispatch.

Tried it near Reno (roaming) earlier this year. Didn't work -- finally dawned on me to press the red button. OnStar made the connection to Nevada emergency services.

OnStar probably records all the emergency calls -- probably at the behest of GM's or Verizon's lawyers.

-- pj

Reply to
PJ

It just seems that since a NORMAL cell phone will make 511 and 911 calls then OnStar Cell Phone SHOULD be able to do it also. Especially with a Corvette, it isn't like I bought a Yugo...

Reply to
Wes

Does OnStar use the cellular system or something proprietary? I was under the impression OnStar does not use the cellular network.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops, and no Bat Phone)

Reply to
CardsFan

The Yogo never left the garage and emergency service was not required or useful. When I was working we had to dial 9 to get out to 911, a problem I was able to work around for many years until it was made a direct line. Prior to that bump in the road to easy living there was no 911 and I was able the handle that. During some of that time we had to look up the emergency number we wanted, be it the police, medical service, no EMS then, or the morgue if you were a slow reader. Hang in there, you can handle this road block, (pun intended), and still have a successful life.

Reply to
Dad

Those were the days of 2 lane roads -- except for the Ohio/PA turnpike. Passing is now a lost art.

Reply to
tww1491

Fast way to get back the skill & art:

Take a left-hand drive car to the U.K. and work the 2 lane roads that have plenty of lorrie traffic.

-- pj

Reply to
PJ

Spent 4 yrs in Easy Anglia 82-86 on a tour of duty with the USAF. Lived in Ely --fens. We had a left hand drive Volvo and a right hand drive Mazda -- both manuals. You had to trust your passenger when driving the Volvo, which was certainly no performance machine with its I4 with around 115 hp. Throw black ice, fog. roundabouts and narrow roads with high embankments, driving in the UK was a real experience.

Reply to
tww1491

Snip

One thing you learned quickly was the act of "giving way" for someone to pass. Never forget the first time it happened to me on a rainy night with a stone wall as my left hand curb, no place to give way to, close, but we made it. Also found out you don't pass on the left on a round about without a few fingers being presented to you. Hardest thing for me was to look up to the left to see the rear view mirror.

Liked the country and the people I worked with. I was there over the

4th of July but they took the ribbing very well.
Reply to
Dad

I have a right-drive Jag Mark X, neat car with the triple SU carb double overhead cam straight six and manual 4-speed w/overdrive lots of wood cool 'picnic tables' that fold out of the back of the front seats, WIDE car -- thought I'd have problems driving it but it comes very natural, BUT that darn rear-view mirror looking up to the left gets me every time! I get lots more stares and waves driving that car than the Vette...

Butcher '96 LT-4 CE (and '65 Jaguar Mark X)

Reply to
Butcher