Re-work heads to run Ethanol?

I recently over-hauled my 63 SB and had the heads modified to run un-leaded gas. Will ehtnol work with the current valve/ carb. configs or will it necessitate another mod.

Reply to
lib

Try these:

Reply to
PJ

Your elastomembers in the carb need to be compatible to the latest fuel cocktail and it will be OK. Something else to watch for is the paper fuel filter that can come apart as the new fuel eats the glue, just use the porous bronze.

You must have a carpenter doing the work on your car if he can't answer the questions you've been asking.

Reply to
Dad

I hate to say this, but modifying the heads for unleaded (hardened valve seats) may do more damage, and irreversible damage at that, than the unleaded gas. Seats inserted can drop out. If one does, all sorts of things "reach out and touch someone" that they shouldn't normally.

The wear difference is probably around 20%. Instead of a valve job at

100,000 miles, you need one at 80,000. Even if you thought you needed one at 50,000, it would be 40,000 miles. You driving that much?

If you have had the carb rebuilt recently, the new kit parts are probably good as they get for the ethanol. Older parts and original rubber parts can be affected.

I'd run a brass float, if you have a composite one.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri