VW 1300 Citi Golf unleaded petrol?

Hi all

I am interested to know if a 1994 VW Citi Golf with a 1300 petrol engine made in South Africa will run on unleaded petrol?

I need to know as I am planning on buying this car for my son, and leaded petrol will not be sold for much longer in this country.

Please let me know

Thanks

B1g H@mst3r

Reply to
reeves.nigel

Of course!

Reply to
rikoski

Damn, leaded gass still?

Guess where you live likes to kill the ozone.

But it will work fine, you can also add a lead addative if it pleases you.

Reply to
SnoBrdr

What does leaded gas have to do with ozone. That's NOT why the lead was removed. Another idiot greenie global warming freak loose who spouts off without even a slight clue about what is real and what is not.

Reply to
PeterD

Actually in a roundabout way, it is - yeah, lead in the atmosphere is bad for children but it also kills catalytic converters. So a car that will run on leaded gas by definition has no cat.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You must be so angry because you're so ignorant.

Reply to
Noplacia

Years ago, it was thought that unleaded gas was bad for valves in engines. Years later, experience taught us that in fact it was not nearly as bad as we thought (though hardened valve seats are standard now...) I suspect that was the basis for the OP's question, and as I think we've all said (almost all of us) runing on unleaded is unlikely to cause any problems. (The 94' Golf will have hardened valve seats, for example).

Reply to
PeterD

Right, I got that.

Most of the engines that have problems are 50's or 60's era engines that were made with soft iron heads and didn't have induction-hardened seats or hardened seat inserts. Older engines whose designs predated the widespread use of leaded gas, and newer engines made after the "introduction" of unleaded gas, should be able to handle operation on unleaded just fine (or, obviously, leaded gas - so long as it doesn't have a cat.)

An engine with a catalytic converter, however, cannot be run on leaded gas for any length of time, otherwise the cat will plug up.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel