spinners

Trying to put spinners into my wheels, but they wont tighten properly. I fear that they will fall off or bounce away when I'm driving.. they come with 3 small headless hollow hex screws. (with a teeny L-shaped hex tool) The spinner comes with an extruded hub. Try entering "Corvette Wheel Angle Spinner" on EBAY to see what i mean.

Can I use silicone sealant to bond the edges to the inner rim of the wheel hole (3 1/4") ? What about Locktite ? and other industrial strength adhesive you think might help ? see images of the wheels I have here..

E_Tar

here this is exactly what i have...

Reply to
E_Tar

Are you sure you want to put those things on a classy car like a Corvette ?

Reply to
dave

Oppss...my mistake. I thought you meant those things that you see on Japanese cars where they continue to spin around once youve stopped. Sorry.

Reply to
dave

u got that right dave

Reply to
JCORVETTE 72&75

===================== I have a set of Creager "Corvette Special" Wire Wheels with a spinner on my 79...that spinner screws on to the hub with a single bolt in the center...

But I just went down to the garage and looked at a set of "stock" Mag wheels off my 76 that also have spinners and they match what you say you have...

The L-shaped hex tool is a regular Allen wrench.. The headless screws are regular set screws....

The Stock Mag wheels ...have a grove inside the wheel itself...Those set screws are screwed into the hub and extend thru the hub into the grove....no way that hub can fly off the car.....

The spinner itself is threaded and you just screw the spinner onto the the hub....

Been a few years since I had this set on my 76 and I should have checked if the spinners are directional...(2 threaded left handed and

2 threaded right handed...) But I do not think they are....

IF YOUR WHEELS do not have a groove in the center hole for those set screws to screw into the hubs WILL fly off.... Only solution I can think of at the moment is to drill three 1/8 inch holes about 1/4 inch deep in the wheel for the set screws to screw down into..

Not hard..

Hope this helps...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Another idea I had was to use a black metal disc about 1mm to 2mm thick with the center hole cut out and holes for all five lug nuts. then fit that on the groove at the base of the spinner extension cap ring, so it holds it in place, then I can drive the lug nuts in..

Problem is apart from fabricating this part, I don't know where i can get one made (set of 4 actually) Anyone know where in the south bay area i could find a tool shop that will make this for me ??

Reply to
E_Tar

===================== Spinners like the ones you showed should be abailabe from several manufacturers...seems to me just buying anoter set that will fit those wheels (BTW what kind are they..Manufacturer and name) then to have a machine shop fabricate anything for you... Those guys do not work cheap nor should they...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

America Racing 'Vintage' lite those are the wheels

Reply to
E_Tar