Road Chatter

Brought to you by E N D L E S S R O A D, Historic Savage Mill, 8600 Foundry Street, Savage, MD 20763 Store: 301-497-0369, FAX: 301-497-3690, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" IN THIS ISSUE

  • Car-Guy Trivia Questions
  • Formula One
  • Bits and Pieces
  • On Order
  • Recent Receipts
  • Car-Guy Trivia Answers
  • 10% Off Visit For Your Trivia Questions ======================= **====================== Car-Guy Trivia (answers are later in this email)

1) What was the first Japanese car company to set up a plant here in the U.S., in 1982?

2) What innovative inventor's Dymaxiun car could carry 11 passengers, exceed 120 MPH and get a whopping 30 miles per gallon, in 1934?

3) When air bags go off, they are usually inflated with: A-Oxygen B-Helium C-Carbon Dioxide D-Nitrogen

4) What movie had Professor Fate, played by Jack Lemmon, racing a Hannibal Twin 8?

5) What year was this? Every baby boomer Car Guy should be able to figure out this year.

Vice President Nixon spoke at the National Auto Show. Russia's Sputnik went up, but our Viking satellite exploded before it ever took off. On the big screen was 'The Bridge over River Kwai' and 'Gunfight at OK Corral'. On the small screen, there was 'Perry Mason' and 'Maverick'. Dick Clark created 'American Bandstand', and you could 'Leave it to Beaver'. Everyone sang 'Bye Bye Love', 'Wake Up Little Suzie', and 'Lucille'. There were The Asian Flu, Slinkys, Hula Hoops, and Sony transistor pocket radios.

Studebaker and Thunderbird stuck superchargers on their V8s. Ramblers and Metropolitans dropped the Nash name, and Hudson disappeared altogether. It was Pontiac's 50th year, Oldsmobile's 60th. Mercury's Turnpike Cruiser was Indy's Pace Car.

Chrysler introduced its "Forward Look", with soaring fins on every model. But the Caddy Eldorado had some of the wildest.

Ford and Mercury had new sculptured bodies, but Chevy face lifted its body styles, now in their third year. But this ended up a good thing for Chevy Lovers. OK, how about this? Their black coupe was the hot thing to have.

Chevy and Pontiac had fuel injection on their hot setups. Corvettes with fuel injection could do zero to 60 in 7 seconds. Plus, you could get heavy-duty suspension for racing. But the Corvette SS lasted only four hours at Sebring.

Juan Manuel Fangio won Monaco and his fifth World Championship. A record to stand for years till some guy named Schumacher came along.

Ford's director warned that petroleum production may 'Peak' in the next twenty years.

J.C. Whitney sold fender skirts, club plates, continental kits, and spinner hubcaps. Come to think of it, they still do.

--- Retreads --- These last three questions are from over a year ago. If you remember them from before, consider this a memory test.

6) What car did Sean Connery drive in "Goldfinger"? What car did he drive in "Dr. No"?

7) For you British Iron guys: Here in the colonies, a green race car was, at one time, considered bad luck. But in the UK, BRG, the famous British Racing Green, was the national racing color. Where did it start?

8) Although probably not remembered by many today, the original Corvettes were one of the earliest users of fiberglass, and the quality in terms of panel fits and leaks was not very good. As a result, sales were poor, and the car was about to be killed after just a few years of production. What saved it?

======================= **====================== Formula One

Continuing last month's scenario, what if Michael, Rubins, and Ferrari were not running this season, who would be the Top Guns for the year? We adjusted the points as if the boys in red were not there. Not just dropping the top two from the existing points, we scored all the drivers in the positions they would be if the Ferrari positions were disqualified or not there at all. Those in third would go up 4 points from 6 to 10, fourth would go up from 5 points to 8, etc. Plus ninth and tenth would suddenly get 2 and 1 points, respectively. This is what the F1 world would be without the Red Blitz.

With/Without Ferrari

136....00...Michael .98..00...Rubins .71...104...Button .46..70...Trulli .45..68...Alonso .42..61...Montoya .28..38...Kimi .24..44...Coulthard .23..39...Sato .19..40...Fisichella .12..21...Ralf .10..23...Massa ...7..20...Webber ...6..13...Panis ...6..11...Pizzonia ...3...7...da Matta ...3...7...Heidfeld ...2...4...Glock ...1...5...Baumgartner ...0...8...Klien ...0...1...Mark Gene ...0...1...Zonta

Jenson Button would be this year's champion. Second place would be a tight race between Jarno Trulli, Fernando Alonso, and Montoya, with Coulthard as long shot.

The Musical Chairs of Formula One 2005 began almost at the start of the 2004 season with Montoya announcing he is going to McLaren, but it is picking up speed now. Webber is going to Toyota, and Jag is disappearing. Panis is retiring. Word is that Villeneuve is coming back to do the last three races for Renault. That lets Trulli go to Toyota. Depending on what the F1 POWERS THAT BE decide, Button is either going to Bar or Williams. And Coulthard will probably go to whichever team Button does not take. How much of this is true? Your guess is as good as mine.

2004 Formula One Season:

Sept 26 China Oct 10 Japan, Suzuka Oct 24 Brazil

======================= ** ======================= Bits and Pieces

Most of you know of the legendary video Rendezvous. Some of you have seen it. Shot from the nose of French Director Claude Lelouch's Ferrari coupe, screaming from one side of Paris to the other. No staged scenes, no blocked off traffic, no police cooperation, pure and simple flat out through city streets. We had the video, but it was a whopping 49.95 for a nine-minute film. Now it is on DVD for 36.95. We've ordered them, and they're on their way, somewhere between Europe and our shop. We should have them within a week.

***

I read a magazine the other day. It said there was cautious optimism for, and visible signs of reduction in prices in fuel oil. They then went on with convoluted reasons why prices would be dropping: production developments were making strides, curtailed demand in foreign countries, etc. I hope this didn't get too many peoples' hopes up; this was from Autocar, February 4th,

1949, 55 years ago.

***

Another magazine, Cars Magazine of August 1953, had an article on the Car of the Future. This is what they predicted 51 years ago:

-Modified teardrop body with a roof of glass or clear plastic, with interiors light and airy

-Fuel Injection and up to 9 to 1 compression

-Seats would be made of the new miracle fibers and colors blended with outside paint

-Instrument panels would be simple and contoured to please the eye, with instruments completely recessed