Squeaking Belts on C5

I was getting a chirping sound under the car, especially when the engine was cold. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the "Tensioners." They wanted to replace the belts (2 belts?). Being that the belts were'nt covered I told them to try replacing just the Tensioners. The was no squeaking for a fews day but now it's coming back slightly. Do you think that replacing the belts would stop the noise?

Reply to
Stephen Horrillo

Very well could. If they have been squeaking or squealing they could be glazed from the friction and never be able to get a good grip on the pulleys.

Just >I was getting a chirping sound under the car, especially when the engine was

Reply to
RicSeyler

Take a look at the crank pulley. Mine was "wobley". Not covered under warr. either probably, so replace the belts first. They cost $25/ea roughly.

-Stan

Reply to
sbright

My car was sqweeking a while ago and it turned out to be the alternator (I think you call it a generator in the USA) pully....just needed a quick spray of lube and the silence was golden

Reply to
C5Guy

It's not squealing like the belt is slipping. It's sounds more like a cricket. They told me the belts were still good but they couldn't guarantee the sound would stop if I didn't buy new belts. Like I said, it was silent for a few days. I'ts much less now and goes away when the engine warms up.

Reply to
usenet

They wanted to charge me around $75 each (2 Belts) plus installation.

Reply to
usenet

Did you ever have anything done about it?

Reply to
usenet

I had a similar problem when my 99 Vete was about 2 years old. The dealer said that the alternator was bad, and it was replaced under factory warranty. I bet the actual problem was only the pulley as was mentioned.

Fast Freddy

Reply to
FastFreddie

Take your car to the gas station around the corner and make friends with the mechanic. Or better yet learn to do it yourself. Replacing belts is such a piece of cake that you'll be mad at yourself if you pay somebody $50 for the labor to do it. (Esp when there are 2 involved). Most of the time it's just the first belt that I've heard people complain about. Don't hear much about the a/c belt squeaking-chirping-whatever.

-Stan

Reply to
sbright

Reply to