2001 T&C, creak/thump when turning steering wheel

2001 T&C 127,000 miles power steering fluid level OK, although appears a bit dirty tires < 1 year old new struts, mounts < 1 year old

When I turn the steering wheel either direction, I get a consistent repeated thumping/creaking sound. It started this week and happens when stationary or driving. The noise sounds like it might be coming from near the end of the column.

Suggestions on what to check first?

Thanks.

Reply to
bba