heater box

where can I locate the heater box on a 1999 Grand Caravan?? I have a dual zone control and the driver side always blows hot air when AC is on.

Reply to
balt

Heater box is behind the dash. your best bet would take it to a dealer/garage and have someone with a scan tool and the diagnostic books tell you what is wrong

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I not familiar with the unit you are referring to, but I've always thought that a "dual zone" control in a van was one for the front, and one for the back... If that is the case, both driver and passenger side vents should blow the same, either both cold, or both hot in this case... Is that the case, or is it actually cold on one and hot on the other? Also, is the dual zone, front/back, or driver/passenger?

Reply to
FeMaster

` I have a Caravan that has two temp controls up front; one for driver, one for front passenger. There is also a separate control for the back passengers, but I think there is an option for separate controls for the second, and third rows.

That was one reason we bought the Caravan, instead of GM's Astro. My wife likes it so hot in the winter, that the fluid in my eyes starts a slow boil. In the summer, I like it cold, but she likes it almost as cold as I do.

The control for the back is either by a control on the console, (up front), or a selection that lets the people in the back set it how they like it.

Reply to
Morgans

Reply to
balt

There are 2 actuators for the dual zone system. One for the passenger side and one for the drivers side, if the actuator is bad it could cause that problem but more then likely the problem is in the control head. The last time I priced one was about $365.00

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

With the proper service manual for your vehicle (factory manual) you would be able to go through a series of tests of the unit to determine what the problem might be. These units generally have a self-test as well. Unfortunately, without the service manual, there really is no way to know what the proper button combination is.

What I find amusing, is that there are Chrysler "techs" in this group, yet none of them even bother to mention this, or explain how to put it through the self-test. I know they know, they've got the service manuals at their finger-tips. Instead, they tell you "possible" problems, and list price quotes for you. How helpful is that, especially if it is only on a guess... I know wouldn't want to blow $365 on a guess.

This might be a little more help to you, should you choose the replacement route. There a guy on eBay (no affiliation) that does Exchanges of "professionally repaired" units... He currently has an auction up for a dual-zone heater unit, if you think you could replace it yourself. Most likely it's not real hard, remove a piece of trim or two, remove a few screws, unplug a couple electrical connectors, and reverse the order...

Here's his current auction...

if it wraps and isn't clickable. If it does, just go to eBay and typethe item number (6054885028) into the search box... Oh, after a bit of searching, I came up with this site:
explains a little bit about the testing procedures, along withcalibration and what not. It's not complete, but would be a good a start...

Reply to
FeMaster

Reply to
balt

Front and rear a/c is called front and rear or auxliary! Dual zone is the ability to let the drivers side and passenger side have its own temperature control. As far as Chrysler Techs in here yea I am one and if there was some info that I could give I would. Yes there is a self test that can be done to test the system for any problems but the OP already knows there is a problem and the OP does not have a DRB scanner.

The DRB III must be used to access HVAC control head diagnostic information over the CCD bus

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

You can only use the control head that is designed for that vehicle. I believe there are 3 of them (regular zone/dual zone/ and dual zone with rear auxiliary) and then you have woodgrain or just black and the one you have I think has the blue and white connector (not sure) But if you have the black with rear air you should have Part # 4677917AB

Without having a scan tool to see what the inputs to the actuators are you are really at the mercy to have someone test it. If I had to guess, I would say out of all the complaints I have seen for the problem you are experiencing 99% are related to the control head (the part with the slides) The other 1% would be related to faulty actuator, wiring or blend door problems