Re: sudden loss of steering, 97 T+C

was in town today with the wife+kids, noticed the compaas was playing

>up. Stopped the car in the walmart parking lot, well away from anyone >else, put the compas in calibration mode, and started my loops. just >as I was finishing my seond one, th stearing tried to wrench itself >out of my hands to go straight ahead. > >stopped, and pulled into a space, and jacked the acr up. power >steering seems to be gone, but the fluid level appears fine. I see no >leaks on the road (a baking 93F out there today) . About the only >thing I could see or feel out of normal was something similar to >Teflon tape, black, hanging down from what feels like some sort of >cable loom, a little underneith the drivers side inside CV joint. I >couldn't see any leaks, or hear any. > >For the sake of completeness, its a 97 town+country lxi, with most of >the extras, 3.9, and I was doing a fairly tight left loop. > >Anyone has any thoughts on whats wrong, would be much appreciated. >Hate for the wife to lose more than a days work because of it.

Ok, followup - got it up on jacks, pully covers on the underside removed.

on the frame LW |=|===|=| RW (lovely ascii art)

there appears to be some sort of pump, or something bolted straight to the second crossbar from the left under the cylinder, one of the hoses on the left hand side made a sucking noise when I touched it, Its thi area that the teflon-tape like material came from.

Reply to
flobert