66 D200

The fuel guage in my 66 Camper Special has stopped working. Guage is good so it has to be the tank sender. I have no hope of finding a 66 Dodge truck tank sender and wonder if anyone knows if something from something else could fit. What got me thinking was running across a 60s vintage International AWD truck in a local wrecking yard that also has the tank behind the seat.

Reply to
johninKY

One of these might work for you but I don't know what ohm range you need.

racing sells them for less than $50.

Reply to
Nosey

Don't assume that because the gauge is good the sender is the culprit, if the tank isn't properly grounded a good sender won't function correctly.

If it is the sender, you might contact these folks, they reportedly can rebuild/repair your sender.

Instrument Services Inc. 11765 Main St. Roscoe, IL 61073. 815-623-2993 Toll free 800-558-2674.

Reply to
John Kunkel

That makes good sense. I rarely use the Dodge anymore. Probably drive it less than a 1K miles a year. The last time I used it last summer the guage just stopped working. Used the truck last week to move some firewood and took the time to test the guage. The guage works when I disconnected the wire at the sending unit and used a test light to complete the circuit. I'll ground the tank and see if that helps. Really need to get this guage working because I think I need to make a 1200 mile run in the Dodge this summer. Thanks for the advice and replies.

Reply to
johninKY

It's also possible that the float (which operates the sender) has sunk to the bottom of the tank. With the tank empty, remove the sender and fuel pickup -- there should be a retainer ring & rubber gasket. If you can hear liquid sloshing inside the float, that's the problem. Pinhole(s) in the float can be sealed with solder -- because of the explosion hazard, DON'T use a torch. Clean any leftover flux with alcohol. Bryan

Reply to
Bryan