ABS Fuse

The ABS light and Brake light are both lit on my 96 RAM 1500 4x4. I have seen posts about the Rear Axle Speed Sensor. This seems to be a common problem. I was looking at the fuse box in the engine compartment. It has a bunch of hi-amp fuses and some relays. There is a spot for a 40AMP fuse labeled ABS Pump. This fuse is missing.

I checked my Chilton repair manual and I couldn't find any mention of this fuse. Does this fuse need to be there or is it used for some optional accessory that I don't have on my truck? The truck is fairly new to me and the ABS light and Brake light have always been on.

Don't want to buy the Speed Sensor if all I need is a replacement fuse. Also, I don't want to energize a connector somewhere if there is nothing attached to it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
tmills65

That fuse is for the then-optional 4-wheel ABS. You have rear-wheel ABS only (also called rear-wheel anti-lock, or RWAL).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

According to the vehical options sticker (on hood, inside engine compartment), my truck has 4-wheel ABS.

Should I get a fuse from the auto parts store, stick it in and see what happens? Would the lack of this fuse cause the ABS and Brake lights to come on?

I am concerned that someone has removed it for a reason and replacing the fuse is going to be *BAD* (just a feeling).

Reply to
tmills65

So in the engine compartment, on the driver's side fender, back towards the firewall, there's an ABS pump module with brake lines coming in and out of it, and two multi-wire electrical connectors on the side that faces the firewall?

If you identify the above-described pump, then yes, stick a fuse in there, and test the brakes in a safe location (empty parking lot would work well). Get on them hard enough to lock them up. If the system is working, you should hear the pump come on, and feel a vibration in the brake pedal. The wheels should NOT lock up.

One of the added benefits of buying a used vehicle... :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence